Question about Galaxy note 2 and connecting blue tooth and head phone jack in the car

jpd

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am considering the GN2 and like what I've read about the phone and have seen in person. I was about to pull the trigger when I came across a few threads here and elsewhere saying that the GN2 had problem when using in a car with bluetooth and a headphone jack into the car stereo. The complaint is that if you have the bluetooth on while the headphone jack plugged in, if you get a call you can't hear the incoming message unless you unplug the headphone jack first.

I was hoping that any members here who have their car set up like this could share their experience. Is this a problem that occurred in the past but not currently? Is this something that Samsung put out a software update to fix?

Also how is the bluetooth connectivity over all. I currently have the Rezound and use it with bluetooth speakers. It has a good signal up to about 10 feet then quickly degrades. I was wondering if the SN2 is any better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Jumper2501

Reaction score
Also how is the bluetooth connectivity over all. I currently have the Rezound and use it with bluetooth speakers. It has a good signal up to about 10 feet then quickly degrades. I was wondering if the SN2 is any better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim
I don't think I can be of much help with the car portion of your question. I have my GN2 set up to connect via Bluetooth in my car, but I don't plug it in. I play my music via Bluetooth, as well. I can say that my GN2 seems to connect quicker and better to my car, and to my brother-in-law's Bluetooth speakers. I hope this was helpful.

jseah

Reaction score
The only problem I have noticed with the bluetooth in a car is with the bluetooth audio (streaming music through the car stereo). Bluetooth phone calls works fine, but in my Mercedes with the COMAND system, the bluetooth audio doesn't work right. It connects and the music goes through bluetooth fine, but the head unit cannot control the music player. I try to control the player, and a message "Activating Bluetooth" pops up on screen, but then it goes back to where it was before (acting as if it is unactivated). I never had a problem with before with our other phones (the GS3, Rezound, Razr Maxx).

OP
J

jpd

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I spend a lot of time commuting so this may be a deal breaker for me.

Shortmiddle

Reaction score
I stream music into my stock head unit in my Rav4 through the alternate input (with awesome retractable cable from target). When I am plugged in, the blue tooth stops broadcasting to my headset. When the phone rings, signals, makes noise, it interrupts the music and plays the sound instead of the music. My calls go through the stereo. I actually think it's pretty handy. I have to raise my voice a smidge while talking since the mic on the phone is being used, but this feels seamless to me.
I have not tried to use the headset to answer a call while streaming music through the plug. I will do this tonight.
I use a motorolla S10 headset at the gym and cannot say enough about it. Sound quality is acceptable, but comfort is outstanding (all single ear bluetooth headsets I have tried I find very uncomfortable, some actually hurt my ear after 10-15 minutes). Sound quality/in ear fit for wired is much better,but not having the wire while running/lifting is the best.
I just leave my phone on the ground next to the rack/bench I'm using, and do my workout. walking to the water fountain, sometimes 50-60 feet away is still a solid signal provided both units have the battery charge. When the motorolla starts to lose power, the range is "limited" to about 20 feet.

SN95Coupe

Reaction score
I have a pioneer avicx 940 bt and the bluetooth works flawlessly for music and calls . I just recently upgraded from a thunderbolt which "worked" ,but the gn2 is waaay better . I cant answer as far as headphone connection I just use bt for everything . Calls mute music , all of my contacts I can access from the head unit , and audio streaming is fantastic . Not sure if this will help any , but that is my expierence with your particular question .

Shortmiddle

Reaction score
checked it but forgot to post...derrrr

With the headphone jack plugged in, I can not take calls from my headset. interestingly, I can answer and end calls, but it broadcasts the sound through the plugged-in cable.
this works fine for me, but it sounds like not what you're looking for.
I tested my old Droid X as well, and it functions the same way.

agreco60

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder with a Aux input to stream music from my headset jack. I am synced with the factory Bluetooth for phone calls. If I get a call the Bluetooth rings but for me to get audio for the call I have to physically unplug from the headset jack. I have the Verizon Note 2. I have had a Droid X for years never a problem. If I had a call or to make a call I just made the call, music stopped, no unplugging. I don't know if it is a Jelly Bean thing or a Samsung thing since it worked fine with Motorola.

OP
J

jpd

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder with a Aux input to stream music from my headset jack. I am synced with the factory Bluetooth for phone calls. If I get a call the Bluetooth rings but for me to get audio for the call I have to physically unplug from the headset jack. I have the Verizon Note 2. I have had a Droid X for years never a problem. If I had a call or to make a call I just made the call, music stopped, no unplugging. I don't know if it is a Jelly Bean thing or a Samsung thing since it worked fine with Motorola.

Thanks, that's what I was concerned about and would bug the heck out of me. I think I will stick with the Rezound for a bit longer.