Question About Acutality of Results of "Forced Stop"

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
This may need to be posted in a completely different part of the total forum. If so, just move it.

When you "Force Stop" an app:
1-the app is still available for access and use..correct? It's just suspended?
2-The app is not running in the background...correct?
3-If you have the box checked for "show notifications"...you will be alerted that updates are available?
4-If you force stop an app...when you restart the phone, will it remain as forced stopped?
5-When force stopped, the app will not be consuming RAM memory space..correct?
6-If you have an app that you do not use, i.e. daily weekly, and want to access it faster than having to re-install it, and update it, is it feasible to just force stop it and when you click on the shortcut, it will run fine and need to be re-force stopped? Or, is it really best to uninstall the app and simply find it, re-install it and run it?

If there are any things that you know about the forced stop state that I, or others, may not be aware of or should know, please include that info.

Thanks for the help and replies.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes to all but #4 and possibly #6.
#6, if it's consuming cpu (battery) when idle I'd suggest either uninstall and install only as needed or look for a more battery friendly alternative app that does the same thing.
Without knowing which app you're writing about it's hard to elaborate further.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Are you confusing Force Stop with Disable? Force Stop is like End Task in Windows. It kills the process for that second and restarts it when you request the app again.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Are you confusing Force Stop with Disable? Force Stop is like End Task in Windows. It kills the process for that second and restarts it when you request the app again.
To add to this, you don't always have to "request" the app again. If it's an app that runs in the background, force stopping it will stop it momentarily, but I believe they can start up their background processes again.

If an app starts on boot, rebooting the phone will definitely start it back up in the background.

However, unless an app is running background processes, even if it's listed in RAM usage, if it's not in the foreground, it's not running or using up resources for the most part. It's basically in suspended animation. Some exceptions to this are Music players, youtube (if you've got the ability to listen in the background), and anything else that does things behind the scenes while other apps are running.

If you've got a specific case scenario, we may be able to offer you a bit more information to help you decide what the best practice will be for you.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
My apologies to mountainbikermark, Mustang02 and Jonny Kansas.
I was looking in on the forum and was shocked to see that I had not replied. I know that I read the replies and typed a reply. This was after being up for about 29 hours. I either did not hit post reply or something. Wow. My apologies.

Very helpful information and straightened me out. I uninstalled a few I rarely use. I disabled others that I use only once a week, or so. And, forced stopped some I use every couple of days. I have less running in the background, for no useful reason and it did help.

I remember how little, but valuable, having all the available RAM memory was to my computer in the late 80's. Adding memory helped a lot. I guess that is hard to forget. I seem to remember paying a lot for 1 meg of RAM memory in 1987. But, the more you had, the better your computer ran. I know other things help speed, but that is hard to get away from.

Anyway, thanks so much for the quick and helpful replies, and again, please accept my apologies for the slow reply.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No apology necessary. We all get back to threads when we can & even if you forgot about us completely, the information we have could be beneficial to others.

That's what we're all here for.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As Jonny wrote, no need to apologize. It's what we're here for. I totally get becoming forgetful after being up that long.
Thank you for posting back that you got the replies and they were helpful.
It's funny I've been dealing with Android and portables (tablets and phablets) so long I forget my Windows machine doesn't clear out as needed on its own and get infuriated when my desktop slows top a crawl after my young daughter uses it for school related stuff.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4