Q about phone operation after changing the SIM card

Pete in Fullerton

Reaction score
These may be dumb questions, but I am trying to prevent problems from cropping up after I go to France and try to use my DINC 2 phone. It has been unlocked by Verizon.

After installing the Orange Mobicarte/InternetMax SIM card in my DINC, do all the installed Android apps still appear and function as in the States?

a. Google directions? Would be important to have. I do have a Garmin with local maps for the car.

b. Google Maps and Search? Would be nice to have also.

c. If I find a problem with apps, can I temporarily disable them rather than installing them until I return home in a month?

TIA for any help.

goffredo

Reaction score
These may be dumb questions, but I am trying to prevent problems from cropping up after I go to France and try to use my DINC 2 phone. It has been unlocked by Verizon.

After installing the Orange Mobicarte/InternetMax SIM card in my DINC, do all the installed Android apps still appear and function as in the States?

a. Google directions? Would be important to have. I do have a Garmin with local maps for the car.

b. Google Maps and Search? Would be nice to have also.

c. If I find a problem with apps, can I temporarily disable them rather than installing them until I return home in a month?

TIA for any help.

Well, the maps and search apps both work off of the Internet, so you will need to activate a data plan on your Mobicarte; see here:

[url]http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/francia/orange.php

[/URL]
Once you have data set up, your Maps and Search apps should work fine. You might need to fool with the settings on your phone to get it switched over to using GSM network, but once you do this, you're good to go.

The GPS on your phone functions totally independently of all of this SIM business. So get Internet, and you're golden. If you are driving in a place without internet coverage though, you are hosed, unless you 'cache' the map ahead of time: Google Maps for Android Now Supports Offline Caching - How-To Geek
HTH!

EVoorhees

Reaction score
Was your phone unlocked because of the global feature? Verizon Wireless sets this phone as a global ready phone. Everything should function fine on the phone, reguardless of the carrier.