PSA for .901+Liberty 2.0 - Google Search Update install fails

shakyone

Reaction score
I have the Droid Bionic, with the .901 update installed, and then I installed Liberty on top of that from this forum: .901 radio working with custom rom! - RootzWiki

Today Droid-Life posted that Google updated the "Google Search" app with some nice functionality (New Google Search Released for Devices Running Android 2.2 and Above – Droid Life).

When I try to update it straight up, it says it is not properly "Signed"

When I uninstall the current "Google Search" app with TitaniumBackup and then install the new version from the Android Market, it says "Incompatible Update."

I posted it on Droid-Life, and another user helped me out. Follow his/my combined directions:

Bertha's Response: "Uninstall using Titanium, then reboot, then you can install - worked for me. But then you might lose the action for your search button. Took me two hours to find the answer, but if you move /data/app/googlequicksearchbox-#.apk to /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk, and reboot one more time, all will be right. :)"

My feedback: "It was a little strange when I copied the file to the /system/app directory. It seemed to paste using Root explorer, after I mounted the directory, but it did not appear. I rebooted any way, and problem fixed."

It is pretty nice, and phone appears to be much snappier. I didn't expect that.

clyons077

Reaction score
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! My search button not working was driving me insane!