901 update

beaky73

Reaction score
Is the 901 update available to all? I checked on my phone and i get unable to check instead of system up todate. I had this problem with my last update. I had to reboot my phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can download it manually; there are several threads with links and instructions.

You can get it from DROID Bionic Receiving Mysterious 5.9.901 Update? – Droid Life on the mirror site. Be sure you have the Motorola drivers installed from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA on your PC.

After that, this is what I did...

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

A bit about OTA updates.

First they are RANDOM; so random; so random that if you bought 2 Bionics at the same time, one could get the update long before the other.

Second is that they are mandatory (unless you're rooted and can get around it). When you see a notification to download (or install) and decline, it'll ask again in an hour.

Third is that they can arrive in the background. What you'd see is a question on if you want to install it (rather than download and install).

And finally, when you check for an update, you are pinging the carrier, who checks to see if you're scheduled to receive it. If you are, then you'll get notice that an update is available to download. This means that if you're scheduled to get the update on, say, January 25 at 3:47am, you're phone will say that it's "up to date" despite the fact that others on this forum had been getting it since the 16th. In your case, you were unable to ping the carrier.

Last edited:

TonyBoD

Reaction score
You can download it manually; there are several threads with links and instructions.

You can get it from DROID Bionic Receiving Mysterious 5.9.901 Update? – Droid Life on the mirror site. Be sure you have the Motorola drivers installed from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA on your PC.

After that, this is what I did...

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

A bit about OTA updates.

First they are RANDOM; so random; so random that if you bought 2 Bionics at the same time, one could get the update long before the other.

Second is that they are mandatory (unless you're rooted and can get around it). When you see a notification to download (or install) and decline, it'll ask again in an hour.

Third is that they can arrive in the background. What you'd see is a question on if you want to install it (rather than download and install).

And finally, when you check for an update, you are pinging the carrier, who checks to see if you're scheduled to receive it. If you are, then you'll get notice that an update is available to download. This means that if you're scheduled to get the update on, say, January 25 at 3:47am, you're phone will say that it's "up to date" despite the fact that others on this forum had been getting it since the 16th. In your case, you were unable to ping the carrier.

Perhaps a silly question, but I'm new to this whole recovery process - does this in any way reset your data/apps, etc? If I follow the above instructions will I be reloading all my apps and getting all my settings back? I'd like to load it due to the data drop I keep having but I'm not sure it's worth it if I have to spend a bunch of time reloading/reconfiguring.......

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, you won't lose data or have to reload apps. It did kill the BT setting in my car, but it was easy to reestablish. The same thing happened when I got the OTA to 5.5.893.

If you got the OTA update to 5.5.893, it'll do pretty much the same thing in terms of what happens when it's installed (in terms of data and apps).

Last edited:

tkileh

Reaction score
I am getting this same message when I try to update. I think maybe they are getting ready to push the real OTA update out so I would wait on downloading one and just be patient as I have.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Blackhawk13

Reaction score
I just started getting the same message today. Was going to ask the same thing. Glad u did. Not sure why though

Youngster77

Reaction score
stuck...

Im stuck after option 7. When I go into stock recovery it takes me to a (Boot mode selection menu) where I can scroll through several choices. The robot isnt coming up. Am I doing something wrong?

Tim B

Reaction score
When trying to install the update I got an error message that said, "Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7) Installation aborted

Now what do I do?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im stuck after option 7. When I go into stock recovery it takes me to a (Boot mode selection menu) where I can scroll through several choices. The robot isnt coming up. Am I doing something wrong?

I see on another post you got that solved. Cool.

When trying to install the update I got an error message that said, "Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7) Installation aborted

Now what do I do?

What is the firmware you're at? Is it 5.5.893?

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm currently at 5.7.893

OK, that's the reason. You have to be at 5.5.893 for the 5.9.901 update to install. The zip file's name says the firmware it's going to update.

The good news is that there are threads that can get you back to 5.5.893, if you still want to upgrade to .901.

Last edited:

blwn327

Reaction score
If you're getting "unable to check for update"phone is having crappy signal. Mine does that all the time, it comes and goes

Sent from my 43v3r ROOTED BADASS BIONIC!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have to unfreeze apps before conducting this update?

I think you have to go completely to stock for it. That would include being at 5.5.893.

azdrifter

Reaction score
Do you have to unfreeze apps before conducting this update?
Yes you would have to unfreeze apps because that would tell their server that your phone is missing scheduled updates and it will not proceed with the update until it checks to see that all of their apps the bloatware is up to date and if the apps are frozen then they can't respond and then it will not pass the update along.