pros and cons of unlocking a phone

droidworld

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm doing some research on unlocking phones. Since having mine unlocked I'm finding some issues here. Can anyone tell me what u should expect?

galaxy s4

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Unlocked or rooted?

Unlocked none because sim unlock just means you can put another Sim card and use it on another carrier. Must new phones are all the same phone the software determines what carrier it will work on.

Rooting will void you warranty but just being rooted will not effect your phone. Running roms or bad software is where you will run into an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

OP
D

droidworld

Reaction score
What kind of issues are you having?

Sorry part 1 of my issue was not being able to connect to the internet. I have that problem solved but the speed is not 4glte , which it should be. Calling my voice mail is no longer accepted on my phone so I downloaded the tmobile voice mail app in order to manage that. Although my phone and sim card do work I have an error message that won't go away indicating that it's an unknown source. I am not rooted. Software Updates are not allowed. I guess I was figuring the phone would act completely as if it was from tmobile as long as I unlocked it. Tech stuff is killing me.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have an unlocked S4 and never had any of these issues. How did you unlock it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to get information, did you unlock it to use on another network, like using a Verizon phone on T-Mobile?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the past I've seen posts where some things don't work when changing to another network. It was more Verizon to Sprint, IIRC.