Project Ara Now Open to Developer's and Google Releases Module Developers Kit (MDK)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
project-ara-mdk-april-2014.png

The modular phone concept, Project Ara, has been in the media a great deal lately. Just yesterday we got word that a working prototype would be coming next month. Today's news suggests the Google project is ready to go to the next level. They just opened up Project Ara to developers and released the Module Developers Kit (MDK).

Furthermore, The Project Ara developer's conference will be held next week. Here's a quote from the Google ATAP Google+ page with more of the details,

Announcing the Project Ara MDK v0.10

Today we’re announcing the first release of the Project Ara Module Developers Kit (MDK) v0.10. You can download the release at projectara.com/mdk/. This is a very early version but our goals are to give the developer community an opportunity to provide feedback and input, and to help us ensure that the final MDK--anticipated at the end of 2014--is elegant, flexible, and complete.

Next week, we’re hosting the first Project Ara Developers Conference at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View. We invite developers to attend in person (projectara.com/ara-developers-conference/) and provide feedback and input on the MDK. An online livestream option is also available. Registration closes tomorrow. Also, we’re kicking off the Project Ara Module Developers forum and mailing list--check it out.

We look forward to your feedback!

Paul Eremenko, Head, Project Ara

Some intel has already been gleaned and shared from the MDK release. For example, the endoskeleton for the Ara will affectionately be called "endo." Clever...

Also, it looks like Ara users will be able to make use on more than one battery at a time. In fact, you can even swap a depleted battery out with a fresh one without turning off the device. Here's a quote with a few more details on the sizes of the modules,

The largest one (which will be released sometime in the future) will sport a 4x7 parceled grid, whereas the medium-sized endo will have 3x6 grids in tow. The smallest endoskeleton will come with a 2x5 grid. It is also stated that each endo will have a single spine with multiple ribs coming out of it. These ribs will provide structural support for the blocks.

Sound off and let us know what you think of this unusual smartphone concept.

Source: PhoneArena

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Very intriguing and It may be my next phone option.

Reaction score
I love this idea!! This will be revolutionary to the phone industry if it takes off, no joke!! Sadly I doubt Verizon will get a taste since their money is coming from selling whole new phones. But hey, maybe an LTE module will come out and we'll be able to use it.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
They should just create a Verizon radio "module", even if it's not approved by Verizon. As long as it supports the bands for 3G and LTE, they will activate my phone if they want my money.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sadly I doubt Verizon will get a taste since their money is coming from selling whole new phones.

This is mostly not true. True only in the sense that VZW has to commit to certain quantities to have phones developed for them (especially with exclusivity). That means they face sizable losses if they are unable to sell or must heavily discount in order to move the inventory they commit to.

The larger implication is users being able to easily and affordably upgrade their phones means an unwillingness to sign 2-yr contracts. There's also the lack of control and loss of preloading profitable bloatware.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Very intriguing and It may be my next phone option.

Worth waiting for to finally get the phone I want. The prospect of paying full retail definitely makes the current crop of phones less appealing.

This could absolutely explode the mobile phone industry. It will free component makers from being slaves to Samsung and Apple and enable them to compete and sell directly to the consumer. Total game changer.

While we're on the subject, here's what I want:
Snapdragon 805
4gigs of ram
64gigs internal storage.
2 sd cards
camera
big honkin' battery

Last edited: