Problems with GPS/Navigation

undisclosed

Reaction score
I’ve had my Galaxy S3 for over a month now and, as far as I can recall, the GPS worked flawlessly for the first couple of weeks. Lately, however, it’s constantly “Searching for GPS” whenever I try to use it for navigation. Even when it does pick up a signal the performance is spotty at best – It can’t seem to keep a lock on me (my location will jump around on the map, it'll show me taking a turn when I went straight, etc.) and this leads to an annoying stream of rerouting and inaccurate directions. I use the navigation feature included in Google Maps (or try to, rather), and keep all three settings under “Location services” enabled.

Is this a common issue and/or are there any troubleshooting steps that I could try?

OP
U

undisclosed

Reaction score
nothing? I'll try a factory data reset if nobody has any other ideas, but I was hoping to avoid that.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's definitely not a common issue I've come across. I use various GPS functions daily, and I haven't run into any problems. Before doing a factory reset, try clearing the data and the cache for Maps under Application Manager in the phone's settings (you'll find both listed under the All tab).

Wakenup23v

Reaction score
nothing? I'll try a factory data reset if nobody has any other ideas, but I was hoping to avoid that.

I am having exact same issue. I got the usual reboot and pull battery which I had already tried. I'm out of town and will have yo call Verizon when I get home.

TeeX

Reaction score
same here. When I first got my phone, I could lock on instantly, usually to within 3-4 meters, even indoors. Now (a few months later), it struggles to even get a lock indoors, and if it does it doesn't keep it, and when outdoors it doesn't lock on nearly as quickly.

I've done all the tricks, downloaded and used "Faster GPS", as well as GPS test (plus), cleared and updated the AGPS, etc.... it's just very flaky now.

Leomars

Reaction score
Same problem

GPS was working. Now stopped locking completely.

hollywoodfrodo

Reaction score
I'm having this same issue. GPS worked fine since mid-July when I got my phone. Suddenly this week (after getting off a plane in a city I don't live in or know) my GPS wouldn't lock. I tried everything - re-starting, battery pull, download GPS Test and clear cache and download gps info, etc. I spent almost an hour on the phone with Verizon - they went through everything they knew to try except for factory reset which I'll probably try next. If that doesn't fix it, I'll have to contact Samsung for a replacement. Seems like there's some kind of glitch here....

Wakenup23v

Reaction score
I've been having same issue. I called Verizon and after trying a few things, they're sending a new phone. I'll let you know how it goes.

hollywoodfrodo

Reaction score
After a factory reset didn't fix the issue, Verizon sent me a replacement phone. GPS on the new phone works as it should with an almost instant lock with all the same apps installed i had before so I guess something just went wrong in the previous handset.Hopefully there are just a few faulty gps units since there doesn't seem to be a ton of reports of this issue.

Wakenup23v

Reaction score
I got the "like new" (refurbished) phone about a week ago. GPS is better but not as good as my HTC Incredible. The battery seems a lot better

djsiva

Reaction score
My GPS locks started flaking out about a week ago and now I can't get a lock at all. It gives me location based on cell tower, but I cannot lock and navigate. I'm hoping I can find a way to fix this without having to send my phone in. I don't want to get a refurbished phone seeing as my GS3 is only a couple months old.

cnewton

Reaction score
Experiencing the same problem - with two identical phones in my hand!

My boyfriend and I have the exact same phones (Samsung Stratosphere). I never used to have a problem (purchased in August) and in the last two months or so it is "Searching for GPS..." for far too long. In fact, I have begun navigation and made it to my destination 35 minutes later, while my phone is still "searching for GPS...".

So, I take my boyfriend's identical phone and begin navigating at the same time as mine. His jumped right into action - it only took seconds to begin in-route guidance, while mine continued to search for GPS the entire ride.
During this time, I went through our settings to make sure all were the same. Where I had all three GPS locator services enabled, he only had two. So I deactivated my Verizon one, matching his settings. That didn't help.

I'm also having problems with my keyboard. My keys will randomly start following their shortcut functions (and I'm certain I'm not holding down the "search" key). As I type, the "e" takes me to the email screen, and "L" jumps me into my calendar. SO ANNOYING.

From the other posts it sounds like there is just a manufacturing problem with my phone. I'll stop in to a Verizon store... I certainly hope that I will be able to get a product replacement. I need my GPS!! It's the reason I have a smart phone!

I haven't tried a re-set, as I'm unsure what all that will erase.

Maybe someone out there has a fix for me before I attempt a replacement from Verizon. I'm on a family plan, and not being the "head" of the plan, it's impossible to get anything done with my phone in Verizon stores as they won't even let me access the account.

awd1315

Reaction score
I've had the same navigation issues on the Thunderbolt, Charge, Incredible, Nexus and Razr Maxx & the only thing that helped was a replacement meanwhile my Evo 4g on Sprint works fine. One phone will be working fine while the other is still searching for GPS on Verizon.....maybe just my luck :/
In regards to your keyboard issue does this happen when you are charging it or no?

cnewton

Reaction score
Hm. Well, now that you've got me thinking about it, I believe the last two times I had this problem with the keyboard it in fact was plugged in. Is that the problem? How odd.