Please help me root my droid 2

tjrog

Reaction score
Hi all. I will start by admitting that I am a total noob at this stuff. I have a droid 2 running 2.3.3. I am looking to root my phone so I can use barnacle, since I recently lost my home internet service. I have seen many methods out there but am not s sure which is best. I would prefer a one click method with no pc required, if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Gingerbread 2.3.3 won't allow you to use Barnacle, even when rooted. To use Barnacle, you would need to install a ROM.

That said, you can still use EasyTether without having to root at all.

OP
T

tjrog

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. However, what I need is a way to us,e my phone as a wifi hotspot. Is there an app that would work once the phone is rooted? If so, I justneed advice on how to root and which app to use

OP
T

tjrog

Reaction score
I tried gingerbreak which just ran for hrs and did nothing. Is there any quick method that will work? Any method that needs a pc will require me to download the files to my phone then transfer. Any assistance is appreciated. I dont need to use barnacle. Is there an app like it that will work with gb once rooted?

pressguy27

Reaction score
google Motorola one click root for droid 3 it will work with d2. Pretty easy to use and done on PC. Also search for the newest wifi tether apk it works like a wifi hot spot

Sent from my Droid 2

OP
T

tjrog

Reaction score
I used the motorola one click root. Worked like a charm. However, when I tried the wifi tether app I lost inyernet connection and got verizon's "pay us" page. The thing is, I can't pay them because I am not on a contract and was told its a contract only feature. I saw somewhere that I should have rebooted after install. Should I uninstall and retry? Is there anything else I can try?

pressguy27

Reaction score
I used the motorola one click root. Worked like a charm. However, when I tried the wifi tether app I lost inyernet connection and got verizon's "pay us" page. The thing is, I can't pay them because I am not on a contract and was told its a contract only feature. I saw somewhere that I should have rebooted after install. Should I uninstall and retry? Is there anything else I can try?

Yeah u could try to reboot and see if that helps. The wifi tether might be hit or miss on working on the PC. I think there is some other apps like pdanet think might work, you will have to Google them, haven't use them in a while. Sorry if I cant be more help

Edit..forgot pdanet is for connection to PC through phone
Sent from my DROID 2

Last edited:

pressguy27

Reaction score
you could also try open garden wifi tether. i havent used it myself but have heard it working for others.

OP
T

tjrog

Reaction score
Okay after trying a reboot with both open garden and wireless tether, I've had no luck. I immediately lose internet as soon as I start either one. The whole reason I am doing this is so I can steam netflix on my ps3. Whatever I have to do I will. As long a someone can provide instructions on how to do so. All the help so far is greatly appreciated.

OP
T

tjrog

Reaction score
Thanks bullet . I tried the app you suggested. It launched without killing my phones connection but did say an error occured. The network does not show when I scan with the ps3. I will try a reinstall and reboot. If you have any suggestions feel free to advise

OP
T

tjrog

Reaction score
Update: After reinstalling wifi tether, I did not get the error. However, I'm back to getting no internet connection. I noticed that the stock motorola wifi hotspot notification keeps coming up. Is this supposed to happen? Is there any I can do? At this point I'm not sure what I'm missing.