Please help me root my droid 2

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Development' started by tjrog, Dec 27, 2011.

1. tjrog

tjrog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I will start by admitting that I am a total noob at this stuff. I have a droid 2 running 2.3.3. I am looking to root my phone so I can use barnacle, since I recently lost my home internet service. I have seen many methods out there but am not s sure which is best. I would prefer a one click method with no pc required, if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Unfortunately, Gingerbread 2.3.3 won't allow you to use Barnacle, even when rooted. To use Barnacle, you would need to install a ROM.

That said, you can still use EasyTether without having to root at all.

3. tjrog

tjrog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. However, what I need is a way to us,e my phone as a wifi hotspot. Is there an app that would work once the phone is rooted? If so, I justneed advice on how to root and which app to use

4. tjrog

tjrog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried gingerbreak which just ran for hrs and did nothing. Is there any quick method that will work? Any method that needs a pc will require me to download the files to my phone then transfer. Any assistance is appreciated. I dont need to use barnacle. Is there an app like it that will work with gb once rooted?

5. pressguy27

pressguy27 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    google Motorola one click root for droid 3 it will work with d2. Pretty easy to use and done on PC. Also search for the newest wifi tether apk it works like a wifi hot spot

Sent from my Droid 2

6. tjrog

tjrog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used the motorola one click root. Worked like a charm. However, when I tried the wifi tether app I lost inyernet connection and got verizon's "pay us" page. The thing is, I can't pay them because I am not on a contract and was told its a contract only feature. I saw somewhere that I should have rebooted after install. Should I uninstall and retry? Is there anything else I can try?

7. pressguy27

pressguy27 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah u could try to reboot and see if that helps. The wifi tether might be hit or miss on working on the PC. I think there is some other apps like pdanet think might work, you will have to Google them, haven't use them in a while. Sorry if I cant be more help

Edit..forgot pdanet is for connection to PC through phone
    Sent from my DROID 2

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  8. pressguy27

pressguy27 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you could also try open garden wifi tether. i havent used it myself but have heard it working for others.

9. tjrog

tjrog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay after trying a reboot with both open garden and wireless tether, I've had no luck. I immediately lose internet as soon as I start either one. The whole reason I am doing this is so I can steam netflix on my ps3. Whatever I have to do I will. As long a someone can provide instructions on how to do so. All the help so far is greatly appreciated.

10. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 Member

Ratings:
    +2
  11. tjrog

tjrog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bullet . I tried the app you suggested. It launched without killing my phones connection but did say an error occured. The network does not show when I scan with the ps3. I will try a reinstall and reboot. If you have any suggestions feel free to advise

12. tjrog

tjrog New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update: After reinstalling wifi tether, I did not get the error. However, I'm back to getting no internet connection. I noticed that the stock motorola wifi hotspot notification keeps coming up. Is this supposed to happen? Is there any I can do? At this point I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Search tags for this page

barnacle samsung galaxy centura connects but no internet acc

centura