Please Help...I cant be the only one with this issue

sammybear25369

Reaction score
I absolutely love everything about my Droid except this one minor problem I'm having.
When I make a call during the conversation no matter if I am moving around or completely still my phone will switch from the call I am on to another option, such as mute or to dial another call or to my home screen. It is so frustrating to be mid sentence and be cut off by a really cool/feature but one I rarely use. Any suggestions?

I have tried holding the phone in different positions, moving, standing still and nothing seems to work.

Is anyone else having this problem?

gallumbits

Reaction score
Hi,

By the way you are describing this issue it seems that you might have a defective proximity sensor. Once you make a call and put the phone close to your head, the screen must turn off and you should not be able to press anything at all. If this is not happening you most probably need to exchange it. This issue is covered by the warranty.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
agreed. unless you are on speakerphone.. are you using it normally and it is allowing you to push buttons, or are you using the speaker?

imiller913

Reaction score
sounds like you need to exchange it you shouldn't be able to press anything while the phone is up to your ear.

pjmom

Reaction score
How did you resolve your problem?

SammyBear - I have the same issue. (How) Did you resolve it?

Reaction score
Yoo Broski,

Your problem seems like a pain in the ass. Normally when placing a call the screen would go dim and become unresponsive until you make a movement ex: Move the phone to press number keys. The reason for that is so when on the phone and asked to press the key "One or Two" the phone knows when you want to by your movements. It will wakeup/unlock just by you moving it.(That feature alone kicks soo much Iphone ass) If your phone is at your ear it shouldn't be pressing any buttons at all. I will definitely keep a look out for you and find a solution my man.. Good Luck!

~MM1 Payne~

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd lean toward defective as well. Exchange it... it's not meant to behave that way. Bad Droid :mad:

OP
S

sammybear25369

Reaction score
Thanks guys! The screen does go dark but it will still allow features to be pushed . I guess I am on my way to Verizon. I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks again for all of your input.

sailouterbanks

Reaction score
I had the same problem the day the droid came out. I exchanged it and the problem is mostly gone. i do hold the bootom of the phone a little further from my face but i think the exchange did it.

OP
S

sammybear25369

Reaction score
Here is an update!

Ok so I drive 1 1/2 hours to my closest verizon store after spending an hour on the phone with tech support to be told they dont have any phones and they will have to ship one. Should only take two days except for the fact that you have to be home during the day to sign for it. So it actually took three days.

Anyways I get "new" phone (and I use quotes because they did not send me a new phone but rather what they call "like new" ) get it activated not only am I having the same communication problems but I am also having extreme difficulty getting phone to unlock when some one calls.

So I spend another 30 minutes on the phone with tech support and they are sending another phone out that should be here saturday. I was told this problem was not common and I could only think this phone has been out for 4 months how many people have to complain before it becomes common!:mad:

mike4930

Reaction score
im having the same problem my phone pushes buttons and changes screens while im on it but after hearing that your having more problems with the "like new" phone im not sure if i should jus deal with it or exchange it

kristoff125

Reaction score
It seems that the people who have a problem and replace it through verizon end up with a "like new" phone, which I'm assuming is a different phone that someone else had replaced with a new or "like new" phone, seems like instead of fixing the problems, verizon just swaps bad phones with other previously swapped bad phones =\. Try calling motorola and ask if they can do something for ya since you're on your 3rd? phone.