Playing music files from sd ext

bigred8380

Reaction score
Hello fellow Bionic users, would anyone be able to tell me if theres a way to get ur music player to read music files from the music folder on my ext?! I've tried "google play music" and the built in music player for the Bionic, and if I move any music files to the ext, the player doesn't find it?!

Anyone else having this issue or found a work around?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
There should be a filter setting on where the app should look for the music.

I use PowerAmp myself. At first it found all the music files, including sounds I added to ringtones and sounds from games. I have all my music on my SD-EXT card and have set the filters for those folders.

OP
B

bigred8380

Reaction score
Damn, thx aaf! Wasn't aware Poweramp allowed me to select which folder to pull my music from. Google play music would not let me do that...

Any chance Poweramp will put a widget on the lock screen like Google Play did?...liked being able to operate the music player without unlocking the phone if I had a track playing.

OP
B

bigred8380

Reaction score
Nm, found the option in the settings. Can't believe I've gone this long without this app!! Thx man!!:icon_ lala:

jhom

Reaction score
My ICS stock music player and Google Play play music files on the SD-EXT. I have a folder named media with a subdirectory called music. It works fine. You can test this out by selecting a music file in the directory and choose the player.

OP
B

bigred8380

Reaction score
My ICS stock music player and Google Play play music files on the SD-EXT. I have a folder named media with a subdirectory called music. It works fine. You can test this out by selecting a music file in the directory and choose the player.

There must be a setting diff...I can't seem to get Google play to pull from ext

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Damn, thx aaf! Wasn't aware Poweramp allowed me to select which folder to pull my music from. Google play music would not let me do that...

Any chance Poweramp will put a widget on the lock screen like Google Play did?...liked being able to operate the music player without unlocking the phone if I had a track playing.

You are most welcome. PowerAmp has a lot of options, a lot more than I need, in fact. I got it because the stock music player didn't show the album art after a few days. PowerAmp even has an ICS skin you can download.

You could use WidgetLocker which lets you put apps on the lock screen.

skiboarder119

Reaction score
Google Play (Music) pulls my music from the SD card, just fine. When my data is off, this is obvious, but not so much with data/wifi on and connected.

OP
B

bigred8380

Reaction score
I don't have an issue with Google Play Music reading my music files from my Sd...just doesn't seem to read from the external sd (sd ext). Can't find anywhere in the settings where u can tell it which music folder to search. My music files are in the music folder on my sd ext (to save space on the internal sd).

WestOkid

Reaction score
Google only works with external when you do not have streaming turned on. It acts like a regular player. As soon as you load music to Google and login to your account. Ext. SD Search is gone. I tested this. Also, since there is no way to tell the app where to search you're stuck with this.

Sent from my SGS3 using Tapatalk 2

skiboarder119

Reaction score
Your S3 must act differently then the bionic then. I am logged in and have 80gb loaded to my google account. For albums which are on my SD card (yes external, in my world there is no internal SD, internal memory is just a chip on the board) it shows duplicates. One from the cloud, and one from my 32gb class10 microSD card.

WestOkid

Reaction score
Fragmentation sucks!

Sent from my SGS3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

bigred8380

Reaction score
Still seems like I have to go with something like Poweramp. Google Play just flat out won't read them on the ext.

OP
B

bigred8380

Reaction score
Man, I don't get this Google Play app...wouldn't read my music files when I moved them to the ext, but now that I rebooted the phone, boom, all my music files (from the ext) are there in Google Play?! Lol, wth?!

Damn, I'll take it, but never had to reboot to get new music to read b4 when it was on the internal...

deduct

Reaction score
bigred8380 said:
Man, I don't get this Google Play app...wouldn't read my music files when I moved them to the ext, but now that I rebooted the phone, boom, all my music files (from the ext) are there in Google Play?! Lol, wth?!

Damn, I'll take it, but never had to reboot to get new music to read b4 when it was on the internal...

Nice. Good work