Play Music through Car Stereo

tmarti39

Reaction score
I am about to buy a new headunit for my car, but I am wondering which kind to buy. I want to be able to play music (stored on phone/Pandora/Spotify) from my Dinc2 through my car speakers. I know buying a car stereo with AUX input is the simplest and most affordable way to do this, but I was also exploring other options. Has anyone tried using a USB connection? Or, has anyone tried playing music through a bluetooth connection? Bluetooth, although most expensive, would be nice because there would be no cords. Also, which one has the best sound quality?

mack19318

Reaction score
Your aux cords would be the best and sound better. Most head units won't be able to access the music through your phone through usb unless you go high end (alpine mostly). And not because they can't access it but it is just an unused format for the headunit, and some, unless you put your music on and its in wma or mp3 format will just have problems with usb. Your aux is better all around just because whatever is coming out of your phone no matter what format/app it will play. Plus a short 3.5mm jack is super cheap and easily replaced.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

night_train44

Reaction score
some car stereos (such as Ford) can play through blue tooth. that's a sweet way to do it (perfect audio quality and no wires). but those stereos are not very common unless you own a Ford with Sync. I believe we will see more and more of this in the future. Most cars/stereos that have USB input you can play your music through that while charging your droid (nice) and usually control your playlist through your stereo instead of your phone. but you have a wire. a simple AUX cord through your headphones is simple enough, you lose a little bit of sound quality, though it is most likely not perceptible.

OP
T

tmarti39

Reaction score
Does the Bluetooth work for streaming music as well? Would it be able to play songs from Pandora?

nikecar

Reaction score
some car stereos (such as Ford) can play through blue tooth. that's a sweet way to do it (perfect audio quality and no wires). but those stereos are not very common unless you own a Ford with Sync. I believe we will see more and more of this in the future. Most cars/stereos that have USB input you can play your music through that while charging your droid (nice) and usually control your playlist through your stereo instead of your phone. but you have a wire. a simple AUX cord through your headphones is simple enough, you lose a little bit of sound quality, though it is most likely not perceptible.

Ford Sync isnt' the only way. you can get a car stereo with BT adapter for under $150. You sound like a Ford executive with your comment. :)

some examples...

Bluetooth Car Stereo Adapter at Crutchfield.com

Best Bluetooth car stereos - CNET Reviews

Amazon.com: Pioneer DEH-P6200BT CD Receiver with Built-In Bluetooth and USB iPod Control: Electronics

Amazon.com: JVC KD-R810 30K Color-Illumination Single-DIN CD Receiver with Dual USB 2.0 for iPod/iPhone and Bluetooth: Electronics

Amazon.com: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X695 Receiver: Electronics

night_train44

Reaction score
ha i don't even own a ford, but i've rented them and yes, you can stream bluetooth from pandora to them (or any bluetooth radio). i mentioned them because they are one of the few factory OEM options out there for right now, but we will probably see more and more in the near future.

personally i'm not a fan of aftermarket radios...too many buttons and poor integration with the vehicle. i like knobs. big ones. knobs i can feel and turn without looking at.

nikecar

Reaction score
ha i don't even own a ford, but i've rented them and yes, you can stream bluetooth from pandora to them (or any bluetooth radio). i mentioned them because they are one of the few factory OEM options out there for right now, but we will probably see more and more in the near future.

personally i'm not a fan of aftermarket radios...too many buttons and poor integration with the vehicle. i like knobs. big ones. knobs i can feel and turn without looking at.

I like a radio that isn't a $2500 dealer option and with less features than something a fraction in cost.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like radios that tune out all the Latino, Christian, R&B (rap as us older guys know it), some country basically let me tune to a hard rock station and rip the knob OFF!!!

when going the BT route you may want to find a working display or a friend with a BT radio. It would suck to purchase a $200+ radio to find that your phone won't connect.
I am thinking as of now the audiojack would be more reliable.
Although like the idea of USB&charging.

My pos 91 Ford ranger doesn't have any options other than using one of those wireless radio tuner thingys.

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

nikecar

Reaction score
I like radios that tune out all the Latino, Christian, R&B (rap as us older guys know it), some country basically let me tune to a hard rock station and rip the knob OFF!!!
The mantra of the redneck.

Hola-Smilie.gif

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought a Kenwood Excelon KDS-X494 head unit off eBay for $130 a couple months ago. It has a front auxiliary input and USB port. I use both all the time. The USB connection is nice because it displays my music info in the headunit and also charges my phone. I can stash my phone in my truck dash pocket and control all the music through my head unit.

SSX v2.0

BlacknTan

Reaction score
I bought a $200 aftermarket head unit with an Aux in and a hooked it up to a Scosche bluetooth car kit that supported a2dp and had an RCA out. I picked it up for like $60. I've had that setup in my car for the past five years and I love it. I frequently stream Slacker radio (sorta like pandora), or Google listen from my phone through bluetooth. I highly recommend it.

They don't make the exact adapter I used anymore, but this is kind of the same thing:

motorMOUTH II stereo - Handsfree & Streaming Audio Car Kit

nikecar

Reaction score
I bought a $200 aftermarket head unit with an Aux in and a hooked it up to a Scosche bluetooth car kit that supported a2dp and had an RCA out. I picked it up for like $60. I've had that setup in my car for the past five years and I love it. I frequently stream Slacker radio (sorta like pandora), or Google listen from my phone through bluetooth. I highly recommend it.

They don't make the exact adapter I used anymore, but this is kind of the same thing:

motorMOUTH II stereo - Handsfree & Streaming Audio Car Kit
that looks kinda cool, but ouch that price.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hola-Smilie.gif

I wont deny it..
After all I did come up with AFROracing (Association oF Redneck Off-road racing)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hola-Smilie.gif

I wont deny it..
After all I did come up with AFROracing (Association oF Redneck Off-road racing)

I am definitely going to join AFROracing! So cool...

SSX v2.0

JawBoneEra

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a new Honda, It has the bluetooth hands free kit installed and I am able to play my music though it, The sound is excellent! The only drawback is that I can not use the steering wheel controls to skip songs and control the volume. So I just end up using the usb thumb drive and the phone when I want to listen to Pandora or Slacker.
Bottom line BT sounds great and no cords.