Play music by folder?

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Of course it will, as long as you don't repeat the folder (and the file types are supported, e.g. .mp3 and .ogg).
The track list (tap on track data) only shows the currently selected folder, but you can swith through all subfolders with the folder buttons or select one by tapping the cover (also in track list).
When all files in a folder are played, the next folder is opened automatically.

Playlist management is not supported and won't be, at least not in this program. It complicates handling too much. Whoever knows the WM version of MortPlayer (overloaded swiss army knife) probably will agree... ;-)
I'll admit for some reason the Repeat Mode and Shuffle Mode confuse me. If I want it to randomly play everything in one folder (including all subfolders inside it) what process should I go through?

- Click the album art to choose the folder I want to play
- Repeat Mode? All?
- Shuffle Mode? Tracks? Over all folders?

When I tried to do it before I ended up shuffleing my entire library and not just the one folder. I know its possible, just help me out! :icon_ banana:

OP
M

mbeatle

Reaction score
I've played with MortPlayer a bit (no pun intended) and it's alright. I prefer Meridian's focus on the filename, however. In the file listing, Meridian shows the actual file name in a larger font with the tagged title and artist below it.

MortPlayer shows the tagged title in the middle of the listing in a large, bold font. Above is the filename in smaller font, below is the artist, folder name. I suppose it's nit-picky as they both show similar information, but I'm used to just viewing the filename so that's my preference.

I don't need playlists, but I would like to have the simple ability of a queue, just like Winamp. Tap a file to play it, which then clears the queue. Now, only one file is in the queue. To have a song play next, long press the file and "add to queue." This is how I've used Winamp since 97 and I never want to change. :) Meridian almost has this, but their queue is broken and you still can't add songs to a queue that's currently playing and have them play in sequence.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is one thing that I've always missed, a queue. In Winamp I had a queue and using RockBox software, I had a queue on my Sansa mp3 player. It was amazing. Missed it on my iPod and miss it on my Droid :( I hate having the feeling "ohhh I wanna hear THIS SONG next" and my only options are to either end the current song and play it or wait for it to end and then start the next one, rather than just throw it in the queue.

muscles007

Reaction score
Hi. I was reading through a lot that was said about the music in the folders and the audio books. I'm about 2 weeks new to my droid. Yesterday, I put an audiobook file on the droid and the chapters are all scrambled, when i look in the music player. However, I've gone into the sd card and it's listed in the proper order on the card, as it should be. How come this isn't the same when i view it from the music player and is there something i can do about it? I would appreciate any help. Thanks much.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everyone complains of this but mine lists them in order (the stock music app) when I go to Albums and choose it.

For audiobooks, try out Astro Player

muscles007

Reaction score
Everyone complains of this but mine lists them in order (the stock music app) when I go to Albums and choose it.

Thank you for responding. I will look on the market for this app, do you know if it's free or a paid for app? Thank you for your help. :)

muscles007

Reaction score

Thank you so much! Astro Player did the job....:icon_ banana:

adamlee06

Reaction score
How to fix song title, album, and play order's for the defaul music player

I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the default music player sorting songs in the incorrect order, album, naming, etc. I just got my Droid a few days and was having the same problem. After messing around a while with some things, I found the solution. I personally have my albums in their own folders within the "mp3" folder on the SD card. This allows me to keep track of my music better, as well as fix the problem easier. I'm using Windows 7, but the process should be very similar across XP and Vista.

What you'll want to do is navigate to the folder containing the music to the particular album or song you wish to fix. Select all of the songs in that album, go to properties, this will bring up a multiple-file properties box. Make sure you are only selecting multiple music files, and not any other associated files like album art or anything. The properties window has a "General" and a "Details" tab at the top. Go to Details. There will be sub-categories such as Description, Media, Audio, etc. Only Description and Media are important.

First thing, click "Remove Properties and Personal Information" near the bottom of this screen, at the top of the new window click "Remove the following properties from this file:", check mark everything listed in the Media sub-category then hit OK. Sometimes the files will not let you simply over-write the existing entries, so this is the easiest way to avoid that. Back at the Details tab, put the artist name in both "Contributing Artists" and "Album Artist", making sure they are the exact same. Under "Album" simply put the name of the album. If you wish to have the album year and genre, go ahead and edit those fields. Hit apply and this will fix the incorrect/multiple album listing and artist issue.

For the song ordering issues or "Unknown Title" issues, you have to edit each song individually. Again just right click the individual song, go to properties, Details, then type the name of that particular song, as well as its play number in the album under "Title" and "#" respectively. Again hit apply, and everything should now be correct.

Also, the file names do NOT have to be labeled "01" "02" "03" etc for sorting to work on your phone, nor does the "Title" field under the properties need to either. Only the "#" field needs to be numbered, with "1" "2" "3" etc, no "0's" are needed before single digits.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Andrew Terekhine

Reaction score
Thank you for responding. I will look on the market for this app, do you know if it's free or a paid for app? Thank you for your help. :)
Astro Player switches into the lite mode after 7 days. The lite mode is free and provides all major functionality: open folders from sdcard, bookmarking, etc. The lite version doesn't have: speed control, sleeptimer, undo/redo.

griz8791

Reaction score
If the OP is still monitoring this thread, Meridian will play your tunes by folder structure. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

waylman

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the default music player sorting songs in the incorrect order, album, naming, etc. I just got my Droid a few days and was having the same problem. After messing around a while with some things, I found the solution. I personally have my albums in their own folders within the "mp3" folder on the SD card. This allows me to keep track of my music better, as well as fix the problem easier. I'm using Windows 7, but the process should be very similar across XP and Vista.

What you'll want to do is navigate to the folder containing the music to the particular album or song you wish to fix. Select all of the songs in that album, go to properties, this will bring up a multiple-file properties box. Make sure you are only selecting multiple music files, and not any other associated files like album art or anything. The properties window has a "General" and a "Details" tab at the top. Go to Details. There will be sub-categories such as Description, Media, Audio, etc. Only Description and Media are important.

First thing, click "Remove Properties and Personal Information" near the bottom of this screen, at the top of the new window click "Remove the following properties from this file:", check mark everything listed in the Media sub-category then hit OK. Sometimes the files will not let you simply over-write the existing entries, so this is the easiest way to avoid that. Back at the Details tab, put the artist name in both "Contributing Artists" and "Album Artist", making sure they are the exact same. Under "Album" simply put the name of the album. If you wish to have the album year and genre, go ahead and edit those fields. Hit apply and this will fix the incorrect/multiple album listing and artist issue.

For the song ordering issues or "Unknown Title" issues, you have to edit each song individually. Again just right click the individual song, go to properties, Details, then type the name of that particular song, as well as its play number in the album under "Title" and "#" respectively. Again hit apply, and everything should now be correct.

Also, the file names do NOT have to be labeled "01" "02" "03" etc for sorting to work on your phone, nor does the "Title" field under the properties need to either. Only the "#" field needs to be numbered, with "1" "2" "3" etc, no "0's" are needed before single digits.

Cheers.

It sounds like you are just editing the tags of your mp3's. There is a much easier way to do this! Just download Media Monkey and manage your Library with it. Just plug in your phone and then in Media Monkey go to File -> Add/Rescan tracks to the library. Then choose where your music is on your SD card. You can then manage your library from your PC.
MediaMonkey Download

plaidman

Reaction score
I used MP3Tag to re-tag all my music. It comes with a handy feature to scan the song contents and filename to try to guess the correct tag information from the internet. It'll take a while (a few hours for my few thousand songs, manually), but the results are definitely worth it for the music players that display songs based on genre/artist/album/song tag filters.

As for media players, I'm really digging MixZing - it works with my music's tags very well. You can set it to scan a specific folder or multiple folders, so you won't get rogue audio files in there, like from the navigation app. MixZing also has a music suggestion feature to keep your random music selection a little less 'random' (i.e. Mozart -> Rob Zombie), and lets you rate the suggestion so it can learn what you like and what you don't. Imagine Pandora or something like it, but it only selects songs that are on your SD card. I don't use that feature personally, but I've heard good things from people.

bTunes is also nice if you like the iPhone/Touch interface, and filters by mp3 tags like MixZing. The beta (free) version is no longer being updated; full version is available for less than a sandwich. MixZing has a better widget selection though so I stuck with that.

MortPlayer is nice but I don't like that I can't just play songs from a specific band (only specific album folders within the band folder). The Mort podcast player is really nice though. I use it and keep the podcasts in a separate folder that MixZing doesn't read.

I can't recommend Astro. The interface isn't optimized for the Droid uber-resolution. It's a petty complaint, but that sort of thing bugs me.

Last edited: