1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

PIPA and SOPA Co-Sponsors Abandon Bills

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Trusstopher, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Trusstopher

Trusstopher Super Moderator

Now that the dust has begun to settle after the protests and blackouts yesterday, we find that SOPA and PIPA are a few Co-Sponsors lighter.

SOPA Co-Sponsors who have withdrawn their support:
    Airzon Rep. Ben Quayle
    Nebraska Rep. Lee Terry

PIPA Co-Sponsors who have withdrawn their support:
    Florida Sen. Marco Rubio
    Texas Sen. John Cornyn
    Missouri Sen. Roy Blunt
    Arkansas Sen. John Boozman
    Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch

With all of these co-sponsors dropping their support, lead SOPA sponsor, Texas Rep. Lamar Smith, said that he was not discouraged by the criticisms SOPA has received and that he continues to stand behind the bill.

A comprehensive list of where legislators stand on SOPA and PIPA can be found here and here, respectively.

Source: Mashable
  2. djsiva

djsiva New Member

Not that my one letter counted, but I sent one to Florida Senator Marco Rubio. Glad to see he is on the list of people that backed out.
  3. Wraith

Wraith New Member

I've written my representative(s) twice;

The first time I sent anything to a representative was when the govenment had social agendas (I guess they always do) to ban violent video games because they don't believe parents can be responsible for their children and I expressed my belief that the govenment should stay out of my home. Sylvester Reyes basically told me (I have the response in a letter) that he disagreed with me and would do whatever he wanted in the direction of banning them.

Glancing at Mr. Reyes' website, his is NOT in support of this legislation at this time.

Today, a much more polite response from John Carter with a cryptic response...it is clear his sponsorship is in tact.

Based on both of the responses I have received on both issues, from my perspective, it appears that individual opinions carry much less weight than corporate lobbyists once people get their appointments.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." - Lord Acton, 1887
  4. CletusVanDam

CletusVanDam New Member

Wow I think we may be witnessing democracy working here...
  5. Wraith

Wraith New Member

Not working if those in power really aren't working for the people.
  6. macpro88

macpro88 Super Moderator

O but you are wrong, it did indeed count! Here's the general thinking here, if EVERYONE thinks this way, that their one letter didn't count, then no one would voice their opinion, and it would in fact, not count. But if everyone just knew how important it really is to voice their opinion and actually DO SO, the EVERY SINGLE VOTE/LETTER/TALLY whatever it may be, REALLY DOES COUNT!

Right?

If only everyone thought that way, and if only everyone would actually go out and do their civic duty and think with the mentality that their votes do in fact count, the American public could be better hear.

Everyone's vote counts, don't think that you can't make a difference, cause you can. And EVERYONE that signed, voted, whatever against this, IT COUNTED! And it shows, cause supporters are dropping, and we seeing democracy.

Keep at it people, if you haven't voiced your opinion yet, please, go do so, cause guess what, you really do matter and you really do count!

[\SOAP BOX]
  7. ntrddragn

ntrddragn New Member

of course it counts. dont sell yourself short. cant get to 1000 without adding 1 by 1. ;)
  8. lfylove

lfylove New Member

USA! USA!USA!USA
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  9. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 New Member

I called my state senator (NE) yesterday, glad to see things have been done to kill these ridiculous bills

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  10. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Power to the People!! dancedroid:biggrin:
  11. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 New Member

Thank you for your opposition, and as I told a friend who told me the same thing yesterday "it won't matter if I call" that is an unamerican mentality and that's the thought process that let's things like this pass, your voice and words are your most powerful tools, as an American, in these troubled times, so always speak up for what you believe in, even if you are the only one doing it

12. ntrddragn

ntrddragn New Member

I can't like your post on the app. But LIKE.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  13. Kasey923

Kasey923 New Member

It's pretty obvious to me that our politicians will do whatever they feel like, anytime. They must feel that there's no accountability, because if they did, they never would have written this garbage in the first place.
    I mean really, our representatives are supposed to be our voice. Did any of you say this was a good idea? The only place that voice came from was the MPAA and their dollars. Plain and simple.

Lib3rat3d DX
  14. Bigaliensexmachine3000

Bigaliensexmachine3000 New Member

RE: My one vote is insignificant.

Even grains of sand can fill a cup.
  15. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 New Member

That's the problem in our society, even since the head hancho, Obama, is OPPOSED to this, he's the national figure and has minimal voice in the matter, if this does pass you can bet on increased unemployment and many companies, besides major monopolies, going bust, it eliminates most of what's left of an "American Dream" which is already mostly tarnished. I believe in the long run something will pass to help piracy but this is above and beyond anything needed and infringes on our civil rights, something will, assuredly, be done

Search tags for this page

ox sopaco 10