Phone Favorites widget?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm coming from a Bionic so please forgive me.

I got my Samsung S4 today and am very happy with it. I did discover something that I thought was an ICS (and JB) widget and not just a Moto widget.

I'm referring to the Favorites widget. You see 4 pictures, but if you swipe down it turns into 20. That way you have easy access to the numbers you call the most.

I know that you can put 12 in the Easy Home place, but is there a widget that I described? If not stock, one in the Play Store? I saw one that held 8, but that was a 4x2 widget that had them always up. The one I used was 4x1 when closed.

Thanks!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Tap the phone icon then favorite. You can add to that list but I am not aware of s specific widget that will do the same. The favorites can show a really long list. Or maybe I'm missing your point.;)

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I found that and am using it. The widget I'm talking about looked like this when opened...

View attachment 66325

When closed it was only the first 4. There is one in the Play Store that shows 8, but takes up a 4x2 space (instead of just a 4x1 space).

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, this may be a dumb question but if you go where I suggested in the previous post, how many favorites display there? That's not the same as contacts.

luddy

Reaction score
I came from a Bionic too and I miss the feature. I liked clicking on one of the fav icons and being able to select call, txt, etc from that one spot.

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, this may be a dumb question but if you go where I suggested in the previous post, how many favorites display there? That's not the same as contacts.

When I do I see the same list as my screenshot, in alphabetical order. And I'll use that. It was just that I had the top 4 right on the screen, and had room for 24 without too many steps.

View attachment 66326

It's no biggie and I can use one of the widgets I found on Play Store for a top 8 if I really need it.

Last edited:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The point I was making is that if they aren't in the favorites in the dialer they may not appear as a favorite in an app either but any of your contacts can be added to the dialer favorites.

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I know that, but I had those as favorites because I dialed them most often. And I could put them in any order. The widget just made it faster to get to them. For example, now if I want to call Home:

1) Hit the phone icon
2) Favorites
3) Look down to Home
4) Press the name
5) Call.

With the widget:
1) Press the picture as it was one of the top 4.

There are some widgets that are close, but not what I want. One had 4, but took 4 at random.

Thank you though, I'll learn to live with it. It's a great phone otherwise.

Last edited:

tpearson25

Reaction score
I also had that widget on the Bionic. What I have done is made a folder on my home screen and call it favorites. I then go to widgets and drop either direct dial or contact widget into my folder that says favorites. When I open the folder I can just press the contact and the phone dials the number.

luddy

Reaction score
Go figure the Bionic had something worthwhile. LOL

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

UPDATE: I tried the folder idea and it certainly works for me. I used to have my 4 top calls on the first line of the widget and the rest below. I did a long press on a contact and selected "Add shortcut to Home." I then set up the top 3 on the homepage and put the rest in a folder called favorites. That uses up the same footprint as the widget and does the same job.

Last edited: