PC Mags Top 30 Apps For Android

dkshaer

Reaction score
Lost credibility for me at the first listed app, Advanced Task Killer. Task killers are not needed. I know this topic has been debated into the ground. I don't use one and my droid works just fine.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great idea Desso. A thread with the top 30 apps! Why didn't I think of this?j/k

No, it's ok it's a bit different. I haven't even looked at it yet but if it does say task killer there is some credibility lost.

sroach23

Reaction score
Lost credibility for me at the first listed app, Advanced Task Killer. Task killers are not needed. I know this topic has been debated into the ground. I don't use one and my droid works just fine.

task killer is needed on phones with pre 2.1 os. this list is not specific to the droid.

techguru

Reaction score

Don't want to drag off topic or add too much to the debate, but there are occasionally mis-behaved apps that a task killer can help resolve faster than a reboot. I don't leave one running auto-killing background tasks, but if you want to kill a particular app, Advanced Task Killer is a decent tool, and faster than using the built in app manager in settings.

Alan

jstrick5

Reaction score

No, they're not needed BUT they save battery life and are useful to that effect.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

No, they're not needed BUT they save battery life and are useful to that effect.

Sorry. Not so. An app sitting in memory but not using cpu cycles uses no power, whatsoever. An app sitting in memory that occasionally wakes up to do a task, such as synching, uses less power than is required to initiate it for that purpose when it is needed.

Virtually the only valid purpose for a task killer is to kill a running process (i.e. using cpu cycles) that cannot be shut down. I've found this to be the case occasionally for music apps and for internet streaming apps. Otherwise, I've never encountered one.

solorca

Reaction score
People always claim that task killers aren't useful....but everytime I'm almost convinced to get rid of mine, I notice something that I can easily handle with a killer.

For instance, this morning my phone was running extremely slow. It was laggy and having trouble transitioning screens. I pulled up the task killer, noticed that there were about 15 programs currently using my memory, and I killed off most of them.

Instantly, my phone began running quickly like normal. It was a quick and easy process and quite useful.

jstrick5

Reaction score

Sorry. Not so. An app sitting in memory but not using cpu cycles uses no power, whatsoever. An app sitting in memory that occasionally wakes up to do a task, such as synching, uses less power than is required to initiate it for that purpose when it is needed.

Virtually the only valid purpose for a task killer is to kill a running process (i.e. using cpu cycles) that cannot be shut down. I've found this to be the case occasionally for music apps and for internet streaming apps. Otherwise, I've never encountered one.

Thank you for proving my point.

"Virtually the only valid purpose for a task killer is to kill a running process (i.e. using cpu cycles) that cannot be shut down. I've found this to be the case occasionally for music apps and for internet streaming apps."

"cpu cycles" = battery consumption. ie if you don't want an app that can't be shut down using battery life reboot your phone or use a task killer. Thus, a task killer can be used to prevent unwanted/unnecessary cpu cycles aka battery consumption.

A perfect example of this is using "network" location and google maps/navigation.

Task Killers can be used to conserve battery life.

techguru

Reaction score
Getting back on topic, I agree a task killer is handy, but not in my top 30 and certainly not my number 1. Of their top 30, I think I only use 5 and only consider 3 in my top 30 apps. One of these days I need to get around to writing a review of the apps I have installed and why I use them. Not enough hours in the day....

Alan

peteypeso

Reaction score
Not so observant....

Do you guys realize that the apps are just in alphabetical order. Advanced Task Killer is #1 for that reason... followed by AP, Astrid, etc....

techguru

Reaction score
Do you guys realize that the apps are just in alphabetical order. Advanced Task Killer is #1 for that reason... followed by AP, Astrid, etc....

Actually, I hadn't noticed :reddroid:

Silly way to organize a "top X" list if you ask me, but I should have noticed before commenting on the order.

Alan

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I think its a good find. If you had 1 list of the top 10,20 or 30 apps then that would be it. But with multiple lists, you can see which ones show up in all of them..