Overnight Battery Drain

dbrii

Reaction score
Periodically my battery will really drain overnight with no logical explanation on my end. Last night I went from 97% when I unplugged from my charger to 46% when I woke 7h30m later.

Any ideas on how I can figure out what is killing my battery?

View attachment 60768View attachment 60769

OP
D

dbrii

Reaction score
Additional info

Some additional screen shots from GSam Battery which I downloaded this morning. Regarding Google+, I only use the app to backup photos taken with my phone. I do not use the app otherwise. Suppose an easy answer is to stop using Google+ altogether, though I am not sure that would completely solve the amount of juice drained last night.

View attachment 60772View attachment 60771View attachment 60770

war88

Reaction score
I would probably start by simply turning off the phone and turning it back on and see if the behavior continues. My and other android devices have done similar things and rebooting often helps.

As a side note, I use a Smart Action that turns off every radio, data sync, and puts my phone on silent during the night time hours. This way my phone's battery is not used for anything and I don't have to hear my phone go off if I get an email or anything. It has helped overnight battery life for me. Before using the smart action I might go from 100% to 93% overnight. After using it I'm often still at 99 or 98%. So that option might help but you definitely a bug that's not normal that you should solve first.

monstermanhbf

Reaction score
Website
www.hpibajaforum.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S7
I've had a few issues like this as well and this is my diagnosis
A assume that an app or two were getting hung up and continued to run in the background I think anyway. So I looked around the forums and since we can't do a physical battery pull you'll need to hold down the power button and volume down key to do a soft reset. That should do the trick, since doing that it hasn't occurred again

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Go into: Settings/ Apps/Running and see what Apps are running. Close/ Stop/ Freeze/ Uninstall as needed.

OP
D

dbrii

Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions. For the past few nights I've tried a handful of alternatives and it appears the best option so far is for me to keep my WIFI on all night. Previously I had been turning WIFI off (using Profiles app to turn off WIFI, turn off all sounds, and turn off Bluetooth), however, I get very spotty VZW coverage at my house and it looks like by not using WIFI my phone was churning hard to check email, etc., overnight. By keeping WIFI on the past few nights I have seen a significant decrease in battery usage. The GSam Battery app does not show any running app that is killing me overnight anymore, so I think I might be in the best shape I can be if I want to keep my phone on all night and able to receive phone calls and update other apps in the background.

war88

Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions. For the past few nights I've tried a handful of alternatives and it appears the best option so far is for me to keep my WIFI on all night. Previously I had been turning WIFI off (using Profiles app to turn off WIFI, turn off all sounds, and turn off Bluetooth), however, I get very spotty VZW coverage at my house and it looks like by not using WIFI my phone was churning hard to check email, etc., overnight. By keeping WIFI on the past few nights I have seen a significant decrease in battery usage. The GSam Battery app does not show any running app that is killing me overnight anymore, so I think I might be in the best shape I can be if I want to keep my phone on all night and able to receive phone calls and update other apps in the background.
Do you want to be updating apps and receiving notifications at night? You could disable wifi and disable the cellular data antennas at night and that way you wouldnt have to worry about your phone churning at all. This would give you the best battery life but of course you wouldnt be getting any notifications until you wake up and enable the radio(s).

OP
D

dbrii

Reaction score
Do you want to be updating apps and receiving notifications at night? You could disable wifi and disable the cellular data antennas at night and that way you wouldnt have to worry about your phone churning at all. This would give you the best battery life but of course you wouldnt be getting any notifications until you wake up and enable the radio(s).

I tried this via a Smart Action -- set the action to turn off mobile data, restricted all background date, and turned off WIFI and Bluetooth during the overnight hours -- however, I still seemed to lose a decent amount of juice. I see from your earlier post that you barely lose any battery overnight but that was not remotely my experience with a similar Smart Action.

tode

Reaction score
Periodically my battery will really drain overnight with no logical explanation on my end. Last night I went from 97% when I unplugged from my charger to 46% when I woke 7h30m later.

I've noticed that after I have my Razr M connected to my computer, the battery will die (from a full charge) in about 8-10 hours. Is there any chance your battery issues have also occurred after connecting via USB?

lowvolt

Reaction score
You stated you have poor vzw service. That alone will suck the juice out of your battery.

Last edited: