OTG does not work on rooted razr (XT910 with JB)

shlape

Reaction score
After researching many online instructions I was able to root my phone, thinking this was required to connect USB devices via an OTG cable. Unfortunately I still can't get any USB device to work with my phone. I was interested to seeing if I can connect a Class 1 USB bluetooth dongle to the phone just to see how Android would work with it, namely as a range-extended mp3 player. Why would I do that?? There is method to my madness, but that's outside the scope of this question.

What was done so far:
- Using this post I successfully rooted the phone.
- USB debug status remained enabled from the rooting process.
- I verified root status with the app 'Have Root' (which doesn't appear to be on Google Play anymore).
- I bought an OTG cable and tried several USB devices,ie. bluetooth dongle, USB memory without success.
- I installed USB Host Controller to see if I could get a verbose output to troubleshoot the problem. I got:
Code:
S3C USB Host driver NOT found
I haven't has any luck addressing this error.

- I found another post which advised finding android.hardware,usb,host.xml in the directory /system/etc/permissions/, and adding the following:
Code:
<permissions>
  <feature name = "android.hardware.usb.host" />
</permissions>

...and in handheld_core_hardware.xml, add the following to the permissions section

SO, after all that, can anyone suggest what I missed, or what I could do to get USB devices working on my razr. This is more of an exploration study as I was thinking of getting a tablet PC and doing the same, however to save me the hassle and cost if it doesn't work the way I expected, I thought I'd first try it on my phone.

Thanks.

OP
S

shlape

Reaction score
Having seen some info online about providing an external power supply to the USB device, I plugged up an old extenral HDD which has a separate power connection.
Unfortunately, there is still no sign of life.
Using the USB Host COntroller app I get:
Code:
USB Host Controller
Version number: 0.44

S3C USB Host driver NOT found!

Root hub present, USB Host mode is active!