Oppo Growing Quickly; Plans 50 Million Smartphone Shipments in 2015

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oppo-smartphone.jpg

Oppo may not be very well known or well represented in the United States, but that doesn't mean they aren't one of the largest smartphone manufacturer's in the world. In fact, according to the latest reports, the Chinese manufacturer expects to ship upwards of 50 Million smartphones in 2015, with 35 Million of those going to retail stores in China, and the other 15 Million spreading throughout other parts of the globe.

One of the reasons for their success is that they target the mid-range and affordable segments of the market. Their renewed focus for 2015 will be on the sub-$160 smartphone market. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Oppo uses Qualcomm's processors for production of high-end models, while utilizing chipsets from MediaTek for production of entry-level and mid-range handsets, the sources indicated. Meanwhile, Lite-On Technology serves as a main supplier of camera modules and power supply devices for Oppo.

Oppo's purchases of handset solutions from MediaTek are expected to increase significantly as the vendor has geared up its efforts to boost shipments of sub-CNY1,000 (US$160) models in domestic and overseas markets, indicated the sources.

Oppo currently has four production bases in China with combined output totaling 2.5 million units a month on average.

Having enjoyed a as high as 6.5% share in Indonesia handset market, Oppo is currently evaluating the possibility of setting up a handset plant there, the sources noted.

Source: DigiTimes

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I have read that their ColorOS (I believe a heavily customized version of Android) is terrible. I think it was installed on the Oppo Find 5.

I think Oppo has so much potential, and this article points to that being the case. They are relatively new compared to other OEMs. I would really like to see them mature!