[Follow-Up] Nexus 5 Won't Include MEMS Camera Tech, but Oppo Devices Will

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
05jun13DIgitalOptics-269.jpg

It appears that someone mixed up their intel in the past. Not too long ago we shared a rumor that the Nexus 5 might be coming with MEMS advanced camera technology from Digital Optics. The source was solid, and some of the intel was true, but the device to get the new tech was wrong. As it turns out, this technology will be coming to smartphones in the future, but it won't be in the Nexus 5. According to a statement directly from Digital Optics, they will be working exclusively with Oppo to bring their MEMS camera tech to Oppo smartphones first. Here's the full presser,

DigitalOptics Announces First mems|cam Purchase Order by OPPO, a Leading China Smartphone Maker

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Oct. 8, 2013 – DigitalOptics Corporation (DOC™), a wholly owned subsidiary of Tessera Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: TSRA) announced today that Guangdong Oppo Mobile Telecommunications Corp., Ltd (OPPO), a leading Chinese smartphone OEM, has placed the first mems|camTM volume production purchase order.

The mems|cam module provides speed, power, and precision advantages compared to VCM (voice coil motor) camera modules and enables highly differentiated features when coupled with DOC’s world-class software.

“We are proud to announce that OPPO and DOC are exclusive launch partners. OPPO will be the first smartphone OEM to incorporate mems|cam products in volume,” stated John Thode, president of DigitalOptics Corporation. “OPPO has an excellent premium brand in China as demonstrated by the September 23 launch of the innovative N1 Smartphone platform. Integrating mems|cam modules into OPPO’s best-in-class smartphones will bring an exciting computational imaging user experience that further delivers on OPPO’s brand promise.”

There has been speculation on who would be the first to bring the significant benefits of mems|cam to the mobile imaging market. Last week, several technology news blogs reported that mems|cam was first being brought to market in another smartphone platform. Those reports were inaccurate.

It's a shame this awesome new camera-phone tech advancement won't be coming to the Nexus 5; however, now that we see it officially coming to market, at least we can hold out hope for it to be adopted in future devices for many companies beyond just Oppo.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Two quick thoughts...first, I vaguely remember that we rarely see Oppo products in the US, that instead they tend to stay in Asia, and second, that "we don't want Chinese phones because they'll SPY ON US." OK, I personally think that second point is somewhat silly but I think I've read it here once or twice. Anybody care to comment?

-Matt

Asgard

Reaction score
Well, I'm considering a Chinese product as second option if the Nexus 5 is not that good (Xiaomi Mi3)
Regardless of the spying, it's a game of pick your poison, spied by the NSA or China. But since I'm going to wipe the phone and install a ROM, it might not be a problem.
Also people forget that almost all devices are made in China.

On the topic of the camera, personally I don't care, since I don't take a lot of pictures with my phone, but it's a good thing that technology is moving forward. I just wish we were making the same progress in battery technology.