OnePlus 5 Doesn't Actually Have The Advertised 2x Zoom

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oneplus-5-3-png.77602

Earlier we talked about how OnePlus "cheated" on benchmarks with the OP5 by arbitrarily cranked up settings when the phone detects it is running a benchmark or is under any stress. It looks like OnePlus was less than honest on one other detail. During the announcement of the phone Carl Pei demonstrated what he called "2x lossless zoom".

A redditer pointed out that the optical zoom is only 1.33x and the digital zoom is only 1.5x. The extra camera is responsible for the optical zoom. Carl Pei has clarified that the camera actually has 1.6x zoom and states that the remaining .4x comes from the SmartCapture software. The ability to claim a feature at the cost of the consumer doesn't seem to be a smart move for a company who positions themselves as being for the people.

via Phandroid

Attachments

• oneplus-5-3.png
    oneplus-5-3.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 4,616

Briankbl

Reaction score
oneplus-5-3-png.77602

The ability to claim a feature at the cost of the consumer doesn't seem to be a smart move for a company who positions themselves as being for the people.

via Phandroid

Wow, really? That last line there is so over the top. Bring it down a notch. It's not THAT big of a deal.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
And the Top Model is Still couple hundred less the Price of a S8 or other top Smartphone. So it doesnt Really Dominate Benchmarks or have a 2x Optical Zoom. Until I got my Moto Z Force and the Hassleblad Camera Mod i never had a Zoom in my Phone so no Big Deal IMO.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
And it doesn't have large battery either, which to me is more important.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
3300 mAh Battery is a Bummer from 4,000mAh