Ok sounds dumb, but...

Larez121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 4
I can't edit the names of my contacts! Ok so I'm trying to edit names, but even after I directly enter the first middle etc name, and save it doesn't change! It remains whatever I entered the first time I added them. If I search, it will find the new middle name or whatever but the entry itself remains as my original entry. Frustrating. Any help appreciated!

Galaxy Note 4
Lollipop 5.0.1
Nova Launcher 4.0.1

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's likely a matter of where you're saving the contacts vs. which contacts you have it set to show. It's a bit of a cluster, since Samsung put their own spin on contacts.

First of all, when adding a new contacts, I would make sure you save them to your Google account. This way, you'll always have them backed up and won't have to rely on your next phone being a Samsung phone for easy contact syncing.

Next, Open contacts, tap the 3 dot menu button, tap settings, tap Contacts, tap contacts to display.

Check and see what you've got setup there. It may be that the contact you're editing is saving to the phone, but you're only displaying Facebook or Google contacts. Or vice versa.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to guess you mean the Google Contacts rather than the phone/dialer contacts. The easiest and best way I have found to edit them and be certain the changes are made as they should be is to log into the Google Mail account with a browser and make the changes there. Some people have done what it sounds like you are trying to do and ended up with duplicates, (at the minimum).

OP
L

Larez121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 4
@Jonny Kansas it's set to all. So just play around with selecting one source, like try just phone, or just google, or just Samsung (lol yes I have that too).

@leeshor the google contacts are accessible and can be edited via gmail in a browser?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes. @leeshor's advice was my next step. If you log in to gmail in your web browser, there's a rectangle in the upper left region that I believe says "gmail." If you click that, you can select "contacts" and he's right. It's way more easy to do a bunch of editing/etc from there.

That is, assuming you've got those contacts on your phone saved to your google account. I actually went through and manually transferred a bunch from an old moto phone that wouldn't save to my google account by default. Then, I was able to clean them all up from there.

The nice part about that is, it syncs with your google account, so when you get a new phone down the road, log in with that google account and the phone will automatically download your contacts.

OP
L

Larez121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 4
Thank you leeshor I didn't know that I could access contacts from there. I made sure the name I wanted shown was the only one here in contacts. Then I went to contacts on my phone and picked my google account as the only contacts to show.... Unfortunately I still see the original. I'm baffled. Boooooo

Thus I just deleted the whole entry and created a new one, I did this while only the google contacts are showing. So it has to only be in Google contacts. Which when I switch phones I'll have it like you said Jonny.

I appreciate both of you trying to solve this. From now on, if I add a new contact, I'll select show Google only so I know I'm only dealing with that. Then I'll do any needed editing there.

Thank you!

Sajid Rasheed

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S6790
I froze some apps with titanium backups now my cell samsung S6790 is not responding nor restarting nor being hard reset. Any solution if there is any :( anyone please??

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's a catch 22. Had you only been trying to disable some of those apps you may have gotten warnings that it may affect some other process. I'm guessing that's what happened. A battery pull if possible may help some.