OG Droid Getting New Security Update Version 2.2.3 Rolling Out Now

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-2.2.3.PNG

The aging but beloved original Motorola Droid is getting a rollout of a new security update. The software rollout brings the build number to FRK76 and the Android version to 2.2.3. While there will be no changes to functionality or appearance, it is designed to handle “rogue/unauthorized certificates” through the default web browser.

It's nice to see the "old girl/old boy" still getting attention. :)

Source: VZW

Sweettooth

Reaction score
My gf and I got this update back on the 20th...Just a small security update but who cares now right? They could push all the updates out they want but the phone's still going away. :)

Gillyanne

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VZW Note 3
Does this only work if you're still connected to the VZW network? we updated to D3s but my stepfather still uses his OG on wifi and my niece uses mine. Would these updates still benefit us? If so can someone post it so we can manually DL & install?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's wishing the update was Gingerbread.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
My og is on petes gba17 so I will take a pass on this anyway.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

chikimonke

Reaction score
Does this only work if you're still connected to the VZW network? we updated to D3s but my stepfather still uses his OG on wifi and my niece uses mine. Would these updates still benefit us? If so can someone post it so we can manually DL & install?

Pete has an updated ROM here. Stock +root Peter Alfonso

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
My gf and I got this update back on the 20th...Just a small security update but who cares now right? They could push all the updates out they want but the phone's still going away. :)

People still use them, security fixes are very important. Maybe not to you, but for anyone who still uses the OG Droid and would be affected by the security issue. The phone is NOT "going away", there are still many of them in use. I just passed my onto a friend, who will probably get 2 more years out of it.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
People still use them, security fixes are very important. Maybe not to you, but for anyone who still uses the OG Droid and would be affected by the security issue. The phone is NOT "going away", there are still many of them in use. I just passed my onto a friend, who will probably get 2 more years out of it.

My bad, you misunderstood me. I didn't mean the OG Droid is going away, I meant it's going away for ME very soon since I'm well past upgrade time, so I'M not really concerned with any new updates. And in all actuality I'm probably still going to use it after I get the Nexus. Maybe I'll finally root the thing!

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
With only 256MB of system RAM on the OG Droid, no, you really do NOT wish that.

If it was an OTA update from Verizon...heck no, not with their bloatware attached. But, I just got a TBolt and am handing down the Droid to my better half, since her Samsung has been crap from the time we got it. I wiped the ROM I had on the Droid (Bugless Beast) and installed Liquid Smooth Gingerbread (2.3.7) on it, and it's like a new phone again. Seeing how bad the last Gingerbread ROM was, I was pleasantly surprised--it's fast, uses memory politely ;) , and has not crashed once (even overclocked to 1.0GHz). It won't have the huge load of apps I use, so it should do well for her until we get to a point where we can upgrade. She really likes the physical keyboard, so we're probably stuck with a Droid 3 (or 4).

jdawg334

Reaction score
With only 256MB of system RAM on the OG Droid, no, you really do NOT wish that.

I remember running my OG on the stock Froyo ROM and it was pathetically slow and unstable. GB is so much faster and smooth that it almost seems as if GB should have came stock on it in the first place.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I remember running my OG on the stock Froyo ROM and it was pathetically slow and unstable. GB is so much faster and smooth that it almost seems as if GB should have came stock on it in the first place.
GB indeed runs very smooth. Insanely stable too, if you'll take a look at the screen I just took today...
View attachment 43048