Note 3 Reset

NOVICE

Reaction score
Approximately 2 weeks ago the sinister forces at Verizon downloaded KitKat to my phone without permission under cover of night.

Immediately my battery juice was cut in half and charging took twice as long. I took the recommended minor recovery options: pulled the battery and cleared the cache. No improvement.

Matters have progressively worsened. Apps lag; the screen is less sensitive, and now my keyboard is becoming less and responsive. Total fail.

So now I'm going to effect a factory reset which is going to cause considerable lost time. Will report back the results.

Very interested in the results others have obtained via a hard reset.

OP
N

NOVICE

Reaction score
Not rooted. I was under the impression that the Note 3 through Verizon cannot be rooted.

lterry913

Reaction score
I did a reset the other night and thanks to google acoount it was pretty uneventful...some time was involved, just back up the settings on your customized apps like handcent, nova launcher etc from within the app and I saved my pics to cloud server so they wouldn't get lost. My music is on external sd and I did have to install power amp to find it as the stock player won't play off external sd .

Going back through the phone settings took longer than anything...there are a lot of them and so many hidden settings. I found it hard to remember what I had set originally.

OP
N

NOVICE

Reaction score
Alright, I just finished a hard reset. Night and day. Battery problem appears to be resolved. Best indication of the correction is that when my juice problems started Google OS started consuming 75‰ of my battery. Things are back to normal with the Screen using most of the power.

Quite surprised how much Google has improved the reset process. All my apps reloaded automatically, my voice messages came back and contacts downloaded instantaneously. Very impressed. And yes, redoing my settings took the longest. Plus SwiftKey has to relearn some things.

Don't know that KitKat has improved my experience but I'm very pleased that my phone has come back from the dead. And screw you, Verizon.

OP
N

NOVICE

Reaction score
One additional comment, I whined repeatedly over the necessity of having to do a factory reset. I hereby take it back. As far as speeding the performance of my Note 3 it was the best thing I ever did. Am considering doing a hard reset every couple of months from here on forward.

KaChow

Reaction score
Not rooted. I was under the impression that the Note 3 through Verizon cannot be rooted.

This is not exactly true. If you took the latest update of KitKat which is version NC4 there is no way to Root your device as a Root Exploit does not exist for the Verizon Note 3 currently.

However, all previous versions of JB leading up to the leaked KitKat version NC2 allowed for the Root Exploit to stick, thanks to security remainning "passive." Until, recently some Developments have progressed forward allowing Root to stick through NC4 through customization, which this could possibly lead to a Root Exploit for those that currently do not have Root and have NC4. Have a look at my screenshot, this is essentially a reflection of a custom ROM that has all complete firmware of NC4, except for one crucial piece of information that is Permitting my device to maintain Root User Access, which is the security is not set to "enforcing" in fact there is a different code that is overriding that permission, which this should eventually if Development continues lead towards an Unlocked Bootloader on the Note 3.

OP
N

NOVICE

Reaction score
KaChow

I have KitKat so no rooting.

Additionally, I'm on the Edge plan through Verizon so will be exchanging for a Note 4 when available. And rooting is a no no as my Note 3 has to be returned to the powers that be as part of the plan.