noob needs help from pro

donjlegacy

Reaction score
Hi,

I just purchased an "unlocked" Droid Razr Maxx (XT912) off of Ebay. It has a Verizon stamp on the front of the phone. I put a Canadian Bell Mobility micro SIM card into it, and upon booting up it says it does not recognize the SIM card, however, I am able to call and text perfectly fine. I am not able to access any internet features on the phone though. Have I screwed myself by purchasing this phone? What can be done to get all of its features working on my Canadian Bell Mobility network? Please note that I have zero experience in hacking telephones, so I may not understand all of the terminology that is commonly used within your community. I do have experience hacking PSP and Wii systems through softmod methods. I would prefer not to hack it, but if that is the only road I can travel on here, I thought I would describe my experience level. Please tell me it's just a setting somewhere!

Thanks in advance :)

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Is Canadian Bell CDMA or GSM?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Is Canadian Bell CDMA or GSM?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
GoCliffGo05 I'm pretty sure they are GSM and if he has a 912 receiving text and phone calls what's up with that unless he has it set up on global. I wonder if he has to establish a data plan with the carrier.

OP
D

donjlegacy

Reaction score
GoCliffGo05 I'm pretty sure they are GSM and if he has a 912 receiving text and phone calls what's up with that unless he has it set up on global. I wonder if he has to establish a data plan with the carrier.

I have no idea if Bell is GSM or CDMA, I just tried to look it up and I couldnt get a clear answer. I can tell you that I have a data plan with the carrier though.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I have no idea if Bell is GSM or CDMA, I just tried to look it up and I couldnt get a clear answer. I can tell you that I have a data plan with the carrier though.
The reason I asked those questions is because the US 912 is a CDMA phone and the 910 is a GSM phone. However, with the Ice Cream Sandwich update the 912 was given the "global" capability which will allow it to work on a GSM network...with the right sim card, unlock code and changing the APN. I'm going to do some research, but it the mean time read through this thread...it is about Razr Maxx 912 owners using their phones on GSM networks...there might be the key in there, particularly the last few pages: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/212942-international-travel-razr-maxx.html. Go to menu>system settings>about phone>and tell us what system version is on the phone and what Baseban version is...that will help.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Bell Mobility would need to flash something to your phone in order for you to get internet working I believe? Just like how Metro flashes Verizon phones

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
If what wicked says, and I have no doubt wicked knows what he's talking about, maybe all you have to do is give Bell Mobility a call and problem solved.