1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

No WIFI connection after update to Android 4.1.2

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by mtwi, May 6, 2013.

1. mtwi

mtwi New Member

I am having issues with my phone after the most recent update to Android 4.1.2
    It will not connect to my wifi at home, or anywhere else for that matter. My network at home is open, and before the update it would connect as soon as I got in the house. Now, it just pops up that there is a wifi network available but it will not connect to it.

I am also having issues while typing using swype. It used to auto space the words, and auto capitalize the first letter of a new sentence. Now, it will randomly jump to the beginning of a sentence and place word there, won't capitalize the first letter of a new sentence and will not auto space for a new word.

I have been through all the setting 2-3 times and can't correct this crap. I am getting ready to factory reset the phone so it works how it did when I first got it.
  2. Cyberpolice

Cyberpolice New Member

I have seen a lot drop on my WiFi and battery draining because it is constantly looking for the connection.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  3. MasterGadgets

MasterGadgets New Member

A FDR is always recommended after a major update.
  4. devdeuce

devdeuce Member

The problem connecting to older routers since the jelly bean update is a widespread problem. The only solution I've read about so far is to buy a new router, if your problem is indeed the same as mine. I also had some of the same problems with Swype, I paid $.99 for the new Swype app in the play store and it works much better than the native Swype on the phone.
  5. rastaman_

rastaman_ New Member

So what harm can a FDR do? Can I do one and not loose contacts, notes, files etc?
  6. Daballa

Daballa New Member

I have found that unchecking avoid poor connections in the advanced section of wifi in the settings menu has helped. Even having a newer router and a good signal I was still dropping signal. By doing this I have had less drops. I simply don't by the router explanation. In my opinion it has to do with 4.1.2 and not your router.
  7. leeshor

leeshor DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Contacts would come back from Google, apps can also be reinstalled from Google, but the data would not so either copy the data to your PC (what you can copy) or use DropBox.
  8. mtwi

mtwi New Member

I have tried that too.
    Sitting 2 feet from the router makes no difference.
    Trying to connect to the brand new router at work doesn't work either.
    As you said, I doubt it is a router issue.
  9. devdeuce

devdeuce Member

It is a 4.1.2 issue, it is not compatible with many different routers. There is a lengthy discussion on the Motorola forums. I think it would be an easy fix with an update, but that won't happen.

P.S. I didn't make up the router thing, I've been looking into this for a long time now. I don't know if this is the same issue you are having, but it is an issue. Trying to help, check out the thread in the Motorola owners forum.
  10. iagoarchangel

iagoarchangel New Member

As for wifi, I agree with devdeuce: get a new router. After update to android 4.1.2 jelly bean my DROID RAZR will not connect to an old Motorola Qwest Netopia modem/router/wireless access point. I tried every trick I could find in other forums. When I attached a less old Cisco Linksys E2000 router/WAP to the old Netopia Router, my phone connects just fine to the E2000 wifi.

One extra problem with the E2000, easily fixed: At first I set up a short wifi password (12 characters), and it worked fine. Then I made it a bit more secure (19 characters), and couldn't connect. Back to 12-character pwd and all is well. So before you get a new router, try shorter wifi pwd.

As for swype, I can't wait to try devdeuce's other suggestion. After weeks of waiting for a fix from Google, MyTextInHotmailAndSomeOtherAppsStillLooksLikeThis. Ugh.
  11. mtwi

mtwi New Member

Well, nothing has worked so far. Still running the most recent update and nothing works properly. No wifi connection on any router, new, old, doesn't matter.

Swypeisstillthesameasbefore....... But only when typing responses on message boards and emails. Texting works fine.

I am so frustrated I'm thinking of going back to my Droid X.........
  12. devdeuce

devdeuce Member

That would be very frustrating, sorry to hear that. Mine does connect to some routers so not sure what's going on with yours, hopefully someone here has an idea. On the bright side, buying the Swype app and setting it as default should fix that problem.
  13. William_04_x

William_04_x Member

I still can't connect to wifi when I'm at my other house. Buy another router because this phone doesn't work with what my ISP gave me? All my other wifi devices work just fine. ADIOS MOTO!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums
  14. leeshor

leeshor DF Super Moderator Staff Member

15. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

Great advice leeshor, thanks for sharing. One other tip I read about WiFi after the JB update on the Moto forum is to remove existing WiFi connections from your phone in WiFi settings, reboot the phone and then re-establish a connection to your router. A few folks said this helped their situation after they updated to JB. I didn't have any issues with my WiFi on my Bionic after the JB update, but I did this just for good measure and so far my wireless works great. I guess it can't hurt to give it a try.
    1 person likes this.
  16. William_04_x

William_04_x Member

Thank you, but I've tried all those suggestions and then some. Some say buy a new router. Why should I do that when other devices we own(some running JB) work just fine? I could file an insurance claim and hope a CLNR works. That's a shot in the dark, and costs a little more. I can do a little research, buy another phone(mid contract/full price), and get rid of all the big and little problems this device has. That costs the most, but actually looks to be the best option. After this JB/wifi debacle, I can't wait to get rid of this POS.

17. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

That has to be very frustrating. Wish I had some advice or tips, but unfortunately I don't. I do hope you can figure this out and enjoy your phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  18. ns444

ns444 New Member

My Wifi also stopped working a few months ago after updating Android to 4.1.2.
    It would connect to my router, but no internet access.
    After months of searching, I found this solution on one of the forums.

Try this:

- Make sure Wifi is turned off.
    - Go to Settings > Wifi > Menu > Advanced
    - Go to bottom of the screen and uncheck "DLNA auto-IP"
    - Wait 10 seconds.
    - Turn on the wifi

Once again, I can now connect to internet using wifi from my router and other routers.

Good Luck!
  19. William_04_x

William_04_x Member

I don't have the DLNA auto IP option available to uncheck. For a bit Moto would send a new router to people with this problem. I declined. I'm not wasting my time setting up all my other devices because Moto or Google can't get it together. I'd rather have basic functionality, than some new form of social media integration(which I don't give a rats azz about). Because of the wifi, and BT issues this device has developed after the JB update, I'll never buy Moto again.

Search tags for this page
4.1.2 wifi fix
android 4.1.2 wifi
android 4.1.2 wifi fix

android 4.1.2 wifi problem

android 4.1.2 wireless issues
android 4.1.2 wont connect to wifi
android no wifi connection
android not picking up wifi
android update wifi problems
android wifi not working after update