No Online Video with ICS

orphanedcowboy

Reaction score
I have tried everything and online video just will not play since ICS. Even stumped the tech at the local store. Is there a broad issue or just with my update/phone?

acejavelin

Reaction score
The native browser and Chrome do not support Flash anymore, even if you have it installed... You need to switch to Opera, Maxthon, Dolphin or some other browser that has Flash support. This is the most likely issue.

OP
O

orphanedcowboy

Reaction score
Haven't tried Chrome, but the factory browser was the problem. Firefox fixed the issue.

Thanks

acejavelin

Reaction score
Haven't tried Chrome, but the factory browser was the problem. Firefox fixed the issue.

Thanks
I just mentioned Chrome because it seems to be the default second browser for most people on ICS... unfortunately it is not exactly a "problem" per se, Flash support was removed by design, Flash is dieing and it's death is being sped up by Apple and Google dropping support of it, though it is far from dead yet because tons of websites are still using it even for mobile users.

Anyway, glad you got it working. BTW, if FireFox doesn't work out for you, consider Maxthon or Dolphin, very nice Android browsers.

OP
O

orphanedcowboy

Reaction score
I use Firefox on my laptop, so the sync is a nice add on. I have used Dolphin, even purchased the key, but I think if I can get used to Firefox I will be happy. I hadn't heard of Maxthon, so I will definitely have to try it out.

I just wonder what advances the smartphone will see in the next 3-5 yrs?

acejavelin

Reaction score
I use Firefox on my laptop, so the sync is a nice add on. I have used Dolphin, even purchased the key, but I think if I can get used to Firefox I will be happy. I hadn't heard of Maxthon, so I will definitely have to try it out.

I just wonder what advances the smartphone will see in the next 3-5 yrs?
Give Maxthon a whirl, the browser is really good, and they make a desktop browser that allows sync and other features. Maxthon's been around a long time, over 10 years, and is still my go to browser, one of the best parts is the ability to save a embedded video as a file for later viewing from directly within the browser, even YouTube! And the ability to render pages with Webkit or switch to Trident (IE-based) on the fly for those occasional pages that just don't render correctly unless you have Internet Explorer. http://www.maxthon.com/mx3/

Last edited:

marioval

Reaction score
I personally use Boat Browser and love it. It is very Dolphin like but I just find the app is more logically laid out and easier to use. And web videos definately work with it.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
ICS + has flash support too. I have no problems playing videos. I love this browser.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

acejavelin

Reaction score
I personally use Boat Browser and love it. It is very Dolphin like but I just find the app is more logically laid out and easier to use. And web videos definately work with it.
Hmmm, I though Boat Browser died earlier this year and wasn't being developed anymore. Just looked, guess not, must be thinking of something else. Going to have to try it again, but I am pretty hooked on Maxthon.