No More Droid Phones?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we'll see an iDroid in the future :)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Maybe we'll see an iDroid in the future :)
No! Impossible! . As a Droid owner for many years I am hoping that this is just a one year temporary pause and Moto makes another Droid branded something for Verizon in 2018.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The term "Droid" has been used by Verizon Wireless under licence from Lucasfilm, for their line of smartphones based on the Androidoperating system. Motorola's late-2009 Google Android-based cell phone is called the Droid. This line of phone has been expanded to include other Android-based phones released under Verizon, including the HTC Droid Eris, the HTC Droid Incredible, Motorola Droid X, Motorola Droid 2, and Motorola Droid Pro.[30] The term was also used for the Lucasfilm projects EditDroid, a non-linear editing system, and SoundDroid, an early digital audio workstation.
Droid (robot) - Wikipedia

In theory based on the agreement Verizon could use it for any of their phones. With that said I don't think we will see an iDroid for the simple fact that Verizon want the ability to load up their phone with their apps and Apple is not going to allow that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Droid in the line for their line of "5G" phones.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Droid (robot) - Wikipedia

In theory based on the agreement Verizon could use it for any of their phones. With that said I don't think we will see an iDroid for the simple fact that Verizon want the ability to load up their phone with their apps and Apple is not going to allow that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Droid in the line for their line of "5G" phones.
That may be very possible. Maybe they want to wait until next year and make the first 5G phone a Droid model?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
With the release of the Moto Z3 Play and Moto Z3, and neither being a "Droid" branded model (even though the Z3 is a Verizon exclusive for now) I guess the Droid line did die off in 2016 with the Moto Z Droid, Z Force Droid and Z Play Droid. No Droid phones again this year. Verizon and Moto both said last year that a "Droid" branded phone may return in the future if the time was right, so who knows what the future holds.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But the whole point is they have to license the Droid name....I'm not sure the Droid "brand" is still worth what they're paying. And I think they basically said as much a few years ago.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Unfortunately, nothing stays the same. I always got a kick out of the "Droid" vocal startup with the Droid branded phones. Oh well, time will tell, and, the saga continues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm sure licensing costs have been a big part of the decision.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Idk, I still run into people who call any Android phone a Droid phone.

Also, times have definitely changed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yup, the Droid is no longer the big dog. We saw the changing of the guard when the note 2 came out. That is the day people no longer looked to Droid and started looking at Samsung.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk