Nexus 5X Ships With a USB C to USB C Cable Making Your Chargers and Accessories Obsolete

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have about a dozen phones laying around my house. This also means that i have about 3 dozen power bricks and car chargers. I also have plenty of cables. I am never in need of a charger to say the least. With the standardization of USB Type-C on the horizon my micro USB cables will be obsolete, but I should still be able to use most of my power bricks and car chargers, right? If you buy the Nexus 5X that won't be the case, at least not out of the box.

The Nexus 5X comes with a USB Type-C to USB Type-C cable. This means the cable won't be compatible at all with any of your existing power bricks or car chargers which all take a USB A tip. The phone does come with its own charging brick so you will be able to charge the phone, but if you want to use any of your other accessories for charging you will need to purchase either a usb-c to usb-b adapter or purchase a new usb-c cable with a usb-a end.

USB type-c to micro adapter
Usb type-c with type-a cables

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
This also means that Unless you have USB-C on you PC then you can not even hook the Phone up to your PC. Now will be the time you see all the USB-C Adapters starting to Roll out. This does hurt considering about 95% of Computer Owners PC and Mac do not have USB-C. Heck USB-C just started rolling out on Some New Macs & PCs. Im Happy my Note 5 is still MicroUSB. I have tons of Cables and Chargers. Although with Wireless Charging on some new Phones you wont have the need for a cable as much providing you have a few of the these Chargers around. I want to get a Power Brick with Wireless Charging as Well. Try to Future Proof if that is even possible anymore the way Technology keeps changing.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Am I missing something. If you're buying a device that you know has USB C you should be stocking up on These...

130092.jpg

$10 from monoprice. I literally have DOZENS of USB micros that I purchased 5 at a time at one time or another. I plan to do the same with USB C. I keep the cables all over the place because I always need one. I have 5 at my desk at work, 3 in my car, 6 in my travel bag, 2 in a work bag, my wife's car, several hidden in a drawer at my Mom's house (that she doesn't even know about)... I have them EVERYWHERE. Hell, I might even have one stashed in the bushes outside of the house at the end of my block.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Am I missing something. If you're buying a device that you know has USB C you should be stocking up on These...

130092.jpg

$10 from monoprice. I literally have DOZENS of USB micros that I purchased 5 at a time at one time or another. I plan to do the same with USB C. I keep the cables all over the place because I always need one. I have 5 at my desk at work, 3 in my car, 6 in my travel bag, 2 in a work bag, my wife's car, several hidden in a drawer at my Mom's house (that she doesn't even know about)... I have them EVERYWHERE. Hell, I might even have one stashed in the bushes outside of the house at the end of my block.
Having to buy all new USB cables, car charges, wall chargers, etc isn't fun. I have a car charger in each car, usb cable in each laptop bag and one near the office power strip to charge what needs charged(Nexus 7, phone, bluetooth headset, etc).