Nexus 5 won't power on (with video)

insolitude

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5
Hi everyone, I've had my Nexus 5 nearly 2 years so it's out of warranty. A few days ago I noticed when I briefly pressed the power button to wake the screen it would give the "power off" prompt as if I had pressed the power button for several seconds. I would touch the screen above or below the "power off" prompt to get rid of that prompt and the phone would immediately power off anyway. Very strange.

After a few days of that nonsense I was unable to get it to fully power on. Here is a video showing what it does now (DSCN0119). Here's a summary:

1) Long-press power button to power on
2) Phone briefly vibrates and "Google" flashes in white before the four animated icons appear (as usual)
3) Phone goes black (as if powered off) before again briefly vibrating and flashing "Google"
4) Phone goes black (obviously fully powered off)

A day or two ago I had it plugged in while I was trying to power it on and it repeated step 3 for HOURS. I replaced the battery myself with an OEM that I ordered from an reputable eBay or Amazon seller (can't remember which), and the battery looked identical to the one I removed. That was a few weeks ago though, so not sure that it's related.

Any ideas what's going on? Is it something I can attempt to repair myself, or take to a repair shop, or is the thing totally dead?

Thanks in advance, my first post here and I hope I have provided enough details for some feedback.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum @insolitude Hopefully someone with an N5 will have some info for you.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Welcome to the forum ...are you running completely stock ? And have you tried a factory reset

6s plus Tapatalk