Nexus 5 & Android 4.4 KitKat Creatively Confirmed for October 28th Reveal

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this-is-it-kitkat.png

Those advertising folks at Google and KitKat are certainly working overtime to pull out all the creative ideas. This last one is really clever, and seems to confirm that Android 4.4 KitKat and the Nexus 5 will be revealed on October 28th. This revelation actually comes from a small series of hints. The first one came from @KitKat and reads, "Everybody dance now! #AndroidKITKAT" This lead to some speculation, most of it centered around the 90's song Gonna Make You Sweat performed by the C+C Music Factory band. Someone did some digging and made the obscure reference that C+C Music Factory used to be called, "The 28th Street Crew.” That wasn't quite enough of a hint to really offer up the tasty conclusion.

The second hint actually helped to solidify the first. Shortly later, KitKat Tweeted: “This is it.” They also added, "Sometimes you have to look for the signs...". Someone deduced that the "This is it." referenced the movie dedicated to Michael Jackson, which was released on October 28th. Adding the two of these together seems to suggest Google's breadcrumbs lead to an October 28th unveiling of the next iteration of Android. In fact, this makes further sense when you consider that Google actually launched the Nexus 4 on October 29th of last year.

The final piece of the puzzle is that this will give the press plenty of time to prepare for the big event. What do you guys think?

*Incidentally, the song "Everybody Dance Now" by C&C Music Factory is actually exactly 4 minutes and 4 seconds long. Coincidence?

Source: Google+ KitKat & Twitter - KitKat

Reaction score
I'm really not digging the KitKat marketing for 4.4.

Same here. It's almost as like they sold out. It sort of also makes Google look desperate in a way like they think they could sell it off more using a brand name. It's too cheesy, cheap, and makes their innovation look like it's a joke.

Asgard

Reaction score
I'm neutral about the whole kitkat name thing, but what amaze me is that people figured things out so quickly. At least is something for the couple of guys like me who were expecting an announcement yesterday and nothing happened.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Honestly they could call it leftover meatloaf and I wouldn't care. I like they are trying to have fun with it and not take themselves too seriously. All I care about is that each version continues to be better than the last, and gets to my device sooner rather than later.

It is strange to see there is such a battle each way on how people feel. Kind of like the KitKat commercials saying the left stick is better than the right stick, wonder if they planned it that way?

Iggy08

Reaction score
I didn't really like it at first, but now I'm starting to understand why. I agree they are trying to have fun with it, and that's a great thing. If you think that they're moving to a corporate sponsored upgrade, just look at all the build names. They still say Key Lime Pie. I need to grab me a kit kat though, maybe I'll get the golden ticket (Nexus 7)