Newbie: Question about samsung galaxy s2

s350d

Reaction score
Hi all. Im very new to this site and am having a problem with my samsung galaxy s2 i9100. I just got the phone a few months ago and its been great. I used to have a droid razr who after upgrading to latest software had very poor battery life. Sold it and got this one. Great phone, but it will randomly shut off and turn on by itself. For example, im listening to my music right now and the music stops, screen turns black, then phone comes to life again and starts all my programs again (like it says in notification bar things like "media scanner running, media scanning complete etc. (what the phone says when you turn it on)). It doesnt completely shut off, like i dont get any samsung S screen or anything, just a black screen, and a second later the phone comes to life like nothing was wrong. Its kind of annoying. Any ideas? The phone was a month old when i got it, so its about 4 months old now. Redirect me to the proper area if this is in the wrong place please and thanks :)

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome aboard!

It sounds like the phone is rebooting randomly like "hot booting" - not completely shutting down but something is triggering it to restart - have your recently installed any new apps or updated any? It could be a rogue app causing the issue...have you completely shut down the phone (battery pull, put the battery back in, reboot) - see if that solves the issue...

We also have a sister site for the S2 - Samsung Galaxy Forum - Galaxy S2 Forum - you might post over there as well...good luck!

OP
S

s350d

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

It sounds like the phone is rebooting randomly like "hot booting" - not completely shutting down but something is triggering it to restart - have your recently installed any new apps or updated any? It could be a rogue app causing the issue...have you completely shut down the phone (battery pull, put the battery back in, reboot) - see if that solves the issue...

We also have a sister site for the S2 - Samsung Galaxy Forum - Galaxy S2 Forum - you might post over there as well...good luck!

Thanks for the reply, yes ive tried that already. It stopped for a while but did it again. Sometimes it'll go days without doing it or even a week or two, but then it'll just start again all of a sudden. The only app i have installed that isn't default is facebook. Thats the only app that doesnt come with the phone that ive installed. Im still not sure whats going on...but hot booting might be it.

xtor

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, yes ive tried that already. It stopped for a while but did it again. Sometimes it'll go days without doing it or even a week or two, but then it'll just start again all of a sudden. The only app i have installed that isn't default is facebook. Thats the only app that doesnt come with the phone that ive installed. Im still not sure whats going on...but hot booting might be it.

Your last resort my be doing a factory reset

sent from note 2

OP
S

s350d

Reaction score
Hello again, i know this thread is very old but i solved the problem. I took out the micro-sd card i had in the phone and it stopped doing it. It works perfectly now. I guess it may have been corrupted or something. Thanks for all the help.