New vs. Cert. Pre-Owned DROID 2?

peacemover

Reaction score
I am eligible for an early upgrade through Verizon. I am looking at the DROID 2 and wondering if certified pre-owned is a wise way to go. A CPOed droid 2 is just $49 from Verizon, whereas a brand new droid 2 is $199. Huge difference. They say they will replace it free of charge for up to a year if it is defective or stops working- which is about how long I usually go before I upgrade.

Any thoughts?

pool_shark

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with certified pre-owned tech.

That used to be the only way I would buy a laptop until they started selling new ones at the same price.

OP
P

peacemover

Reaction score
Thanks. I have heard of a few people having to return CPOs several times, and others who have never had a problem. I figured for a savings of $150 it's worth a try.

pool_shark

Reaction score
At one point the definition of certified pre-owned was someone bought it, didn't like it, and returned it. It was wiped, repackaged and resold.

Refurbished meant, it was broken/defective, repaired, repackaged and resold.

Not sure if that still holds true today.

Detonation

Reaction score
I was going to say "no, stay far away from them" because I've been through 7 total refurbs (4 D1s, 3 Incs), but since you get the same one year warranty a new phone does when you buy one (versus the 90 days for a warranty replacement), its probably worth $150 for the possible hassle of replacing it.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had several Certified Like New D1, then got a Certified Like New D2, and have been using it for about 2 months and had no problems with it whatsoever. It is a good phone.

Obijon

Reaction score
I've had no problems with my cpo d2's - Im a contractor and i kill phones abt every 6mo. to 1 year.. just the price of business lol

OP
P

peacemover

Reaction score
Well, I am going for the certified pre-owned. Here is what Verizon says about them:

Certified Pre-Owned Replacement Program

cpo_marquee.jpg

Verizon Wireless’ Certified Pre-Owned Replacement Program offers a replacement option to customers who are not enrolled in Equipment Coverage, Wireless Phone Protection, and/or Extended Warranty.

• If your device is lost, stolen or damaged and you are not enrolled in Total Equipment Coverage or Wireless Phone Protection, you can purchase a Certified Pre-Owned Replacement device to replace your original device.
  • If your device experiences a defect after the manufacturer’s warranty has expired and you are not enrolled in Total Equipment Coverage or Extended Warranty, you can purchase a Certified Pre-Owned Replacement device to replace your original device.
  • There is a limit of one Certified Pre-Owned Replacement device per mobile number every 12 months.
Each Certified Pre-Owned Replacement device has been thoroughly inspected and reconditioned to like-new condition. The devices go through:
  • A complete 100+ point checklist to ensure every area measures up to our standards of excellence
  • Visual cosmetic inspection
  • Advanced functional, manual and electronic inspections
  • Latest software and hardware upgrades
Certified Pre-Owned Replacement devices come with:

If the Certified Pre-Owned Replacement device experiences a manufacturing defect within one year from the date of purchase, we will replace it with a like or comparable unit.

miketoasty

Reaction score
I got my Droid 2 had some problems got a refurbed and it has worked flawlessly since October. I am able to OC at 1.45 no problems at all (Which I know a lot of people have trouble anywhere above 1.25). It came scratch free, all plastic still on it. Worked great from day 1 and would recommend going that route especially with the $150 savings!

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I went through 7 pre-owned D2's before I forced VZW to send my a brand new one....no problems since.

Not everyone has my luck though....several if not most don't have a problem with the pre-owned phones.

AlexSB

Reaction score
My third CPO is good so far. Just remember, if there's something wrong with it just call them back and they'll ship you new CPO

Liberated Droid II

plutonium0587

Reaction score
I went through 7 pre-owned D2's before I forced VZW to send my a brand new one....no problems since.

Not everyone has my luck though....several if not most don't have a problem with the pre-owned phones.

Geez dude, that is rough.