new to droid

five0nezer0

Reaction score
Hi all
I just finally got my droid 2 days ago after getting a really good deal from verizon .. only 99.99 with 2 year contract
Overall I must say this is the best and most fun phone I have ever had.. I've had blackberry.. motorola q.. lg dare..sidekick lx.. and played with the iphone and g1 a lot..and this is hands done the best..

The only drawback to me is the battery life sucks and my left side of my right hand hurts cuz I use my droid so much lol :p

I haven't done any research on hacking so don't tell me to use the search but if anyone feels like answering..how do u feel about hacking the phone? Easy? I've hacked the iphone before with black rain so I'm not a total noob. What does hacking do for droid? Just free apps or any other nice perks..

Anyways glad to be a part of the droid community

OP
F

five0nezer0

Reaction score
oh yeah and I think paying 30 extra a month for internet is too much but all the cool phones require internet anyway.. oh yeah btw if I'm paying 30/m for data, that's unlimited right? I forgot to ask when I signed up... :/

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forums
And YES it's actually UNLIMITED there is NO cap. This has been confirmed, posted and repeated countless times (but I'm still wiling to bet some jack-off will post otherwise here shortly...)

Welcome aboard... damn only $99 that was a GREAT deal for the phone you got.

shademar

Reaction score
Heya and welcome!

re: battery life...see if it improves over the next few days. A large number of people have reported that it gets better at first. Also, this could be related to your settings (wifi, GPS, ect...I recommend installing the inherent 'power control' widget to flip things on and off if you haven't) as well as poor reception, which may cause the phone to be constantly searching.

re: hacking...there are a ton of walkthroughs, step by step guides, and resources in the hacking forum. I recently took the plunge, rooted my droid, and installed an overclocked rom and found the whole process to be pretty much painless. I think a willingness to roll up your sleeves and try things, along with an understanding and acceptance of the inherent risk, is really all you need.

(As a caveat: I managed to bork my phone into an endless reboot cycle tonight, but thanks to the work of the people who actually know what they're doing, I had my droid back up and running in about five minutes. *heart* nandroid backups...)

OP
F

five0nezer0

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed reply.. I see your from berkeley..that's what's up! I'm a few cities over, I live in richmond hills

J

Johnly

Hi all
I just finally got my droid 2 days ago after getting a really good deal from verizon .. only 99.99 with 2 year contract
Overall I must say this is the best and most fun phone I have ever had.. I've had blackberry.. motorola q.. lg dare..sidekick lx.. and played with the iphone and g1 a lot..and this is hands done the best..

The only drawback to me is the battery life sucks and my left side of my right hand hurts cuz I use my droid so much lol :p

I haven't done any research on hacking so don't tell me to use the search but if anyone feels like answering..how do u feel about hacking the phone? Easy? I've hacked the iphone before with black rain so I'm not a total noob. What does hacking do for droid? Just free apps or any other nice perks..

Anyways glad to be a part of the droid community
I disagree, the battery on the droid is top spins, most people will agree, please, break in your battery before posting? Right? Am I kinda hitting the ball in the park? the droid battery is good?! Much better than any BB!!!

nerdbox08

Reaction score
First WELCOME :)

KZIWarrior is right: Data is unlimited when using it on the phone.

Battery: Like the others said, you'll learn when to switch certain functions off - Wifi / BT / GPS, they will help save on your battery. Some people have said that over time, as their battery gets charged/discharged a few times they have actually noticed that their battery life has gotten better. I think it really comes down to : You learn what to shut off, lol.

Hacking aka Rooting : It can be very powerful. I think the main advantage is to overclock. I've read in a few places the range is 600mhz - 1.1ghz(but I've not read anything official). Stock out of the box I guess the phone runs at 550mhz.... So, root and install a custom ROM if it's your cup of tea. The phone is already speedy to start with. As mentioned their are plenty of guides across the forums. The Hacks section would be your first stop :)

Another advantage to running a custom rom: The way some are clocked it will actually reduce the power used in hibernate mode, so people have reported reduced battery consumption.

While there is more rooting can do, those are just two *awesome* features that stand out and making me twitch to root.

Again, welcome!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you root, set a backup, and make sure to update it before making big changes [ie nandroid that was mentioned above.]

Battery life, I'll agree that it gets better in time. I tend to let my battery run completely out on occasion [at least once a week or so] and will even play games and use as much power as possible to make sure it dies.

This ensures a full charge cycle and will make sure the battery stays in good condition.

[Although it's gotten better over time, rechargeable batteries have a tendency to not charge FULLY unless drained completely and recharged to remind them how much charge they actually hold...Smart phone, dumb battery...]

This process of cycling the battery is suggested in many different places by many different people.

As well, [and as also mentioned above], turning of certain things when you're not using them will help as well. I recently started turning of Sync when I'm sleeping, unless the phone is plugged in. Sure, you'll have to turn it back on again and/or refresh your e-mail inbox [and calendars and things if you've made changes], but that saves a bit as well.

Oh, and welcome to the world of Droid!

You picked a great forum to join!:icon_ banana:

nerdbox08

Reaction score
As well, [and as also mentioned above], turning of certain things when you're not using them will help as well. I recently started turning of Sync when I'm sleeping, unless the phone is plugged in. Sure, you'll have to turn it back on again and/or refresh your e-mail inbox [and calendars and things if you've made changes], but that saves a bit as well

I've noticed, since I use k-9 and it has email push, that I only have to turn on sync when I update my calendar. Otherwise it stays off. I think it helps a lot, because I'm only using sync every once in a while instead of the constant.