New to Droid 2 - Several issues with voice, music, etc...

rpmurray

Reaction score
I've had my droid 2 R2D2 edition since it came out, but I am having some issues with it. I've been searching the forum and am having a hard time finding answers. Here are some questions:

1. This one is related to this site - When I search these forums using multiple keywords, it seems the search results in threads that have at least one of the keywords. How do I search for a match of all keywords? I'm getting frustrated filtering through hundreds of threads that have nothing to do with my issues.
2. Voice Search - I love the Google Voice Search App the phone has, yet I am having probelms with it. When I say "send text to Joe... what's up Joe?", the "send to" field is blank and the message is: "2 Joe what's up Joe?" Am I doing something wrong? The phone's other voice command app requires multiple steps to do the same thing, so I prefer the google version, but is there a way around this? The online videos make it look so easy.
3. Music! I have just started using V Cast Media Manager to upload songs to my phone. What a nightmare. Everytime I plug in my phone, I get a message that says device updates are available, and when I hit OK, it says V Cast Media Manager must be restarted to complete the installation. Even after multiple restarts, the message continues and it says that installation is incomplete. I was able to copy over some playlists from iTunes, but the Playlists don't appear in my phone, although the songs do. Is there a way to import playlists, or a way to create playlists on your PC and import them to the phone? Is there other software I should be using?
4. Streaming music - I've been listening to streaming music from Yahoo/AOL radio stations, and the music is constantly stalling or stopping. It looks like the phone is getting hung up on the site or something. Is there a better way to stream music? Maybe an app that plays certain genres of music, etc...?

Sorry for all the lame questions. I really want to understand the features of this phone, but some things are just puzzling me. I don't know if the issues are with me, the phone, or the apps. Thanks!!!

born2golf

Reaction score
Issue 2 - try the "vlingo" app instead. voice input works great for both txt and email, as well as a bunch of other stuff, and works with a single string of commands.

issue 4 - I've been having the same issue with shoutcast streams. haven't figured it out yet

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
1. The search feature is that way on just about every forum I visit, they just can't seem to find exactly what it is your looking for and almost requires you to read through tons of threads to find your answer. Then one gets desperate and asks the question that has been asked a hundreds times already and get nothing but smart comments sometimes.......:icon_evil:
2. You must be very clear when speaking to Voice Search, if anything throws it off it will give some weird result that will totally trip you out.
3. I think there are apps that will sync itunes music/playlists to your phone, you would need to download a PC side as well as a phone side of the app to work. I really have no need for that so I'm sorry if I can't be of more help. I simply recall reading in a few threads about it.
4. Online radio seems to be a tricky one, I listen to Pandora often. Seems like some days it will run for like 6+ hours non-stop and will not skip a beat. Other days it will constantly stop and then I will restart and it just becomes so annoying that I'll stop listening all-together. Depends on the area and signal strength I guess..................I honestly don't know why it does that, but who can complain when its free, right?

Hopefully I was of some help, I am no pro when it comes to these phones....just my .02 cents.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) I'm pretty sure with vBulletin, you need to use boolean operators. So if I wanted to search for "droid rooting", where both words showed up in the result, I'd search "droid AND rooting". AND, OR and NOT should help.

2) Not sure, sorry -- I dont use anything but voice dial.

3) V-Cast is the devil -- you can manually move files with Explorer, or use something like Doubletwist to sync your phone to your media library, just as you would an iPod and iTunes.

4) I use a combination of several streaming apps -- RadioTime (paid app for AM/FM stations), Pandora (free for music), and XiiaLive (paid app for Shoutcast streams and the like). There are a ton of options that others use, including the freebies iHeartRadio and Slacker.

Hope this helps.

OP
R

rpmurray

Reaction score
Thanks for the reponses.
1. I will definitely try AND in future searches. I use several other forums and this is the only one I've encountered this issue with.
2. Will try vlingo. I've tried google many times over and over, repeating everything very clearly, just as directed. Frustrating..., although it works for navigating and mapping and web searches. Just not texting so much... It looks like there are several versions of vlingo. 3 come up in a search. Are they all the same?
3. I don't think you can create playlists in Explorer using the SD card, or can you...? I'll continue to search for something that might replace V Cast.
4. Looks like I might have to pay for something.... Thanks Everyone so far!