New Nexus 5 Rumors: OS Pics, Pricing, Specs, & Different Battery for Each Model

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-5-screenshot-1.png

We have a preponderance of new Nexus 5 rumors. Some of this intel is simply a confirmation of what we have seen before, while other tidbits are quite new. First up, a leaked manual gives us another look at the specs for the 16GB model:
  • Qualcomm MSM 8974, quad-core, 2.2GHz, Adreno 330 GPU
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB/32GB; base version has 12.55GB of free space out of the box
  • 4.96-inch Full HD display (1,776 x 1,080 excluding the navigation bar) - pixel density would be 444 ppi (IPS LCD, made by LG Display)
  • 8MP camera (2,448 x 3,264) with continuous autofocus
  • 16GB Storage
  • 2300 mAh Battery
This 16GB device is now rumored to cost $299.99, which is down from the previously rumored $349.99 (no contract). We are a bit skeptical of this; however, some of the other new Nexus 5 intel seems to support this separately. Supposedly a 32GB Nexus 5 is also in the works, and this one has two really interesting things going for it. One, it will have a 3000 mAh battery. Two, it will sell at a retail price of $399.99. If this is true, it would be a fantastic value. Imagine a Snapdragon 800 equipped Pure Android device from Google with 32GB of Storage, a 3000 mAh battery, all at a price of just $400 bucks OFF contract! The only thing missing would be a microSD slot, because Google is loathe to add those, and there is no word on if the battery is removable or not, although that seems unlikely.

nexus-5-screenshot-2.png

Finally, the pics shown above are leaks which are supposedly from the Android System Info app on the Nexus 5. What do you guys think of Google's next Nexus phone?

Source: PhoneArena - (1) & (2)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think it might be time to consider moving over to AT&T. Contract is up on two of my lines in March, can just pay the disconnect fee on mine.

Asgard

Reaction score
Wow now I'm torn. I can live with 16GB since that's what my GNex has and I use it fairly ok, but then again, 3000mAh for the 32GB version sounds tempting.
But $100 extra for that, I'm not sure.

Let's see if there is a relatively-easy way to change the battery like in the N4 and I might get the 16GB with the 3000mAh battery.

Iggy08

Reaction score
I am definitely getting the 32GB if these rumors are true. The battery is disappointing in the smaller 16GB version. Seeing as I don't wanna sign a contract with T-Mobile, this is would be at least $200 cheaper than any similar phone.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I think it might be time to consider moving over to AT&T. Contract is up on two of my lines in March, can just pay the disconnect fee on mine.

I'm seriously considering doing the same, although I'd be moving to T-Mobile. My contract is up November 26th, and I'm on a shared plan with my wife whose contract is up on March 3rd. I want a new device for Christmas, so there will definitely be some discussion surrounding our carrier.

xsirxx

Reaction score
I wondering if they will be the same body and hence maybe the larger battery will fit in the 16gb version?

i2ollingstone

Reaction score
This rumor is contradicted by the suggestion that the service manual that leaked the other day is from the 32gb variety of N5. One of them has to be falsified in some way.

However the idea of the Nexus family as a "developer phone" can be kept true as the lower storage, lower battery life type. The cheap one is for developers who don't use the Nexus as their main phone but rather as a tool in the shop. The pricier one with more storage and battery life can compete in the Flagship lineup and be purchased by average consumers who prefer stock android.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
The N5 coming in a 3000mAh variant is a rumor unless they slid something through the FCC under the radar. And the service manual which was leaked also contradicts this as i2ollingstone pointed out. LG created a custom 3000mAh battery for the G2 which wraps along the inside of the case to keep the phone this. Apparently someone decided that this isn't thin enough and thought a 2300mAh battery was a good idea. It's very nice having the G2 last all day no matter what I throw at it.

A $399 price tag is needed to separate this further from the G2. I'm pretty confident the G2 will get updated nearly as fast by developers considering that the N5 is also a LG phone built on the G2 hardware, and until an OTA is released eliminating the G2 root exloit, this price incentive is needed. At $399 it's the best deal on a phone out there. I'm hoping on it, but feeling iffy.