New member and I need some S3 help.

cardnut

Reaction score
Hello All, I am a new member. My name is Steve Bowers. I have a Galaxy S3. I have a few issues that I need some help on. 1 - I purchased a 32GB chip for my phone. I checked several other blogs to make sure I bought the proper kind. However, a few days ago I got a message that the chip was damaged and I had to re-format it. 2- When I plug in the phone to my PC, it tells me that it is connected as a USB device, but I never see it when I look at the devices attached to my PC. 3 - Every now and then the phone just reboots itself for no reason. I am not sure why. It did recently update to 4.1.2. When it reboots my wifi does not connect.

Any ideas?

cardnut

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Out of curiosity, what kind of sd card did you put in it?

OP
C

cardnut

Reaction score
I put in a Scandisk Ultra 32GB. I am not sure if it was causing the issues or not so I removed it and put back the original 2GB chip. Something tells me the 4.1.2 update is messing me up.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Numerous people have reported problems with the Sandisk Ultra's, 32gb and higher - myself included. Seems the S3 handles them better than some others (like the Razr HD), but still it's been a problem for a lot of people. Try a 16gb or lower and see if the problems stop. If that card is the problem, it could also be causing the reboots.

clueless77

Reaction score
I had an ultra 32gb and had the same issue. Got a regular class 4 32gb sandisk form Radio shack and have no issue since. I think the S3 has an issue reading the class 10 cards.

OP
C

cardnut

Reaction score
I took the 32GB chip out and put back the 2GB chip, but the phone is still rebooting.

OP
C

cardnut

Reaction score
I had read that there had been some issues with the 4.1.2 update. I had to reinstall my banking software to get past a processing error it kept having. Guess it's time to go to the Sprint store and have the update removed.

clueless77

Reaction score
I had read that there had been some issues with the 4.1.2 update. I had to reinstall my banking software to get past a processing error it kept having. Guess it's time to go to the Sprint store and have the update removed.

Not sure if the update can be removed via the carrier. You could try a factory data reset which from what I've read has helped most issues from big updates

OP
C

cardnut

Reaction score
What would the factory data reset do? Sounds like it would put the phone back to the way it was when I bought it, which was version 4.0.

clueless77

Reaction score
What would the factory data reset do? Sounds like it would put the phone back to the way it was when I bought it, which was version 4.0.

It will take it back to out of the box state but it will stay on 4.1.2. That image has been flashed and will remain. But it could clear up any reboot issues you have. Not saying it will, just from what I've read it has helped.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah if OTA's cause issues, even though it's a bit of a hassle, a factory reset can likely help out.

And with regard to the card, I've never had problems with the Sandisk Ultra 16's or lower, just the 32 and 64's - just FWIW.