New Exynos 5 Octa-core Galaxy S4 Benchmark Crushes All Others (Including Itself)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s4-gt-i9500-antutu.jpg

The newer Samsung Galaxy phones are pretty much the only mainstream smartphone able to paradoxically beat themselves in benchmarks. Because the SGS3 and the SGS4 both came in two (or more) separate versions with different primary processors, it creates a rare occurrence when you can see a product compete with itself in benchmarks and succeed/fail simultaneously. Previously we shared a story where the new Exynos 5 Octa-Core based version of the SGS4 destroyed all other smartphones with a 27,000+ score in AnTuTu. This even bested the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 equipped version of the phone by about 1,400 points. Apparently Samsung wasn't done optimizing, because some new benchmarks increased that deficit even further.

Interestingly, it's also important to note that there aren't actually two versions of the SGS4. There are actually three. Here's a quote with some of the details,

Before we get to it, it’s important to note that there aren’t two, but three variations of the Samsung Galaxy S4. First, with a 1.6 Ghz octa-core Exynos 5 proccessor and no LTE (GT-I9500). Second, with a 1.9 Ghz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor with LTE (GT-I9505), and third, a Korean variant which features a 1.8 Ghz octa-core Exynos 5 processor with LTE (SVH-E300S). The device used for the following benchmark test is the Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500.

As you can see in the pic above, the newest benchmark for the Samsung Galaxy S4(GT-I9500) with the latest firmware installed scored a mind-boggling 28,018 in AnTuTu! Adding another 600+ points is none to shabby, and creates a 2,000+ point lead over the Snapdragon 600 version of the SGS4. Ultimately, it's fun to check out these benchmarks, but in the long run, we doubt these performance number differences will actually translate to a noticeable real world performance difference. Regardless, it shows that Sammy's new Exynos line of chips is an impressive achievement.

Source: AndroidAuthority

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
1.9 and 1.8 Ghz Quad Cores...wow. :icon_eek:

But why did they stop at 1.9? If you are that close, you might as well make it a nice round number, 2.0 Ghz for example. :blink:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
1.9 and 1.8 Ghz Quad Cores...wow. :icon_eek:

But why did they stop at 1.9? If you are that close, you might as well make it a nice round number, 2.0 Ghz for example. :blink:

The next round will be in the 2's. Then we will want to buy all over again!

52brandon

Reaction score
Exynos 5 Octa-core is designed to save battery by using 2 chips. Its not a octa-core to be honest. Its a dual Quad-core with ARM's big.LITTLE architecture.
Exynos 5 Octacore detailed
yup. Although technically it's still 8-cores, the functionality is much different than a typical multi-core chip. But it's very clever. Using 2 different architectures in one chip to save battery is brilliant

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not even sure a phone really needs 8-cores. That's serious horsepower that I can't imagine anyone needing/wanting on a tiny 5" screen. It might make sense if your were connecting a monitor and keyboard in some sort of windows dual-boot configuration (basically replace a laptop). Even then, only serious business power users (and maybe gamers) would need something similar to an i7 quad core processor.

I don't really understand how all this works or compares with laptop processors, but I suspect the processor cache on these mobile chips might be a bigger bottle neck now than the speed or number of cores.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I don't really understand how all this works or compares with laptop processors, but I suspect the processor cache on these mobile chips might be a bigger bottle neck now than the speed or number of cores.

Cache is hurtful, but I'd wager that the majority of the bottleneck is coming from the RAM. The new generation 20nm LPDDR3 coming from Samsung at the end of the year or beginning of the next will be 30% faster and 20% more efficient than the newest DDR3 shipping in the GS4 when it comes to power consumption, which is really impressive.

52brandon

Reaction score
Cache is hurtful, but I'd wager that the majority of the bottleneck is coming from the RAM. The new generation 20nm LPDDR3 coming from Samsung at the end of the year or beginning of the next will be 30% faster and 20% more efficient than the newest DDR3 shipping in the GS4 when it comes to power consumption, which is really impressive.
yup. Will be badass when it's all in full production in all these phones

as for it being overkill, sure, for now. But as more and more apps come out that take advantage of the new superior hardware, we'll wonder how we got by without it in a few years. Plus, IMO, if anything is overkill with phones now, it's the screens. We definitely do not need a 5" 1080P 400ppi display in our pockets. But it's still damn cool to have

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
We definitely do not need a 5" 1080P 400ppi display in our pockets. But it's still damn cool to have

I do, lately all my development has been done entirely on my phone using AIDE. A large screened multi-core device would speed up the process considerably.

Also I will be able to compile kernels for the device on the device, then I will have little need for a desktop...just for image/3d creation.

52brandon

Reaction score
I do, lately all my development has been done entirely on my phone using AIDE. A large screened multi-core device would speed up the process considerably.

Also I will be able to compile kernels for the device on the device, then I will have little need for a desktop...just for image/3d creation.
lol. Wow. Talk about a blast from the past. I haven't seen you for some time. How you been man? What devices are you developing for these days? And I'm sure you know I was referring to day to day use for the general public