New app update requirements...why so many?

estilo

Reaction score
Hi,

I never use automatic update, since I like to be in control of when the phone is using data as much as possible.

Earlier today, I wanted to see what updates were available and I saw the YouTube app had an update. I decided to update it, but this screen showed up:

r09q3p.jpg

So, now...

I have to allow YouTube to have access to my SD card?

Allow YouTube to prevent my phone from sleeping when the app is in use? (Most people want the phone to sleep - even if the app is in use, it's very possible to leave an app on overnight and not intend to)

Not quite sure why they also want access to hardware controls to take pictures & video. Maybe it has a built-in camera app now.

Also, not sure what "Network Communication" means, or why it needs "Full Internet Access".

Can anyone explain this? It seems a bit much and was different before.

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
^^^

very intriguing...you forgot to mention Samsung also makes dishwashers.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

I never use automatic update, since I like to be in control of when the phone is using data as much as possible.

Earlier today, I wanted to see what updates were available and I saw the YouTube app had an update. I decided to update it, but this screen showed up:

r09q3p.jpg

So, now...

I have to allow YouTube to have access to my SD card?

Allow YouTube to prevent my phone from sleeping when the app is in use? (Most people want the phone to sleep - even if the app is in use, it's very possible to leave an app on overnight and not intend to)

Not quite sure why they also want access to hardware controls to take pictures & video. Maybe it has a built-in camera app now.

Also, not sure what "Network Communication" means, or why it needs "Full Internet Access".

Can anyone explain this? It seems a bit much and was different before.

hopeme is spam and violating forum rules.

It's all a crock, some of it is absolutely necessary, most of it because you want it. It needs control of your sd card so if so selected things can be embedded to your card. It needs to prevent from sleeping so when you're watching a video the screen stays on and won't time out. The picture thingy is absolutely inane. NFC and network communication is for you convenience to inform you of incoming calls, texts, MMS, and now NFC. Hope this helps, google is only partially evil.

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
If they can't access your phone this way - there's another way. It's just gotten excessive.

Robert1973

Reaction score
sometimes I install without reading, and then applications try to send paid text messages