New and trying to decide

grannynancy

Reaction score
New to forum and trying to decide between phones
55 year old granny telecommuter during the day, weekend search and rescue dog handler and in the woods a lot.

Verizon, Renewal date on July 6th, which is before the data plan change and on the date my plan gives an "additional loyalty discount"

Current phone is env touch but want to move into droid and figure 4G despite being the new frontier is probably where I should go.

Would appreciate any suggestions and have narrowed down between HTC Thunderbolt and Samsung Charge -- Live in a 4G service area. Thought about the Gzone commando (3G) but it does not sound particularly friendly for typing and sounds somewhat limited - if I were in the woods all day every day maybe so.

Use

-honestly we text a lot and I like a physical keyboard but the reality is I need to adapt as phones are moving away from them. I HATE predictive text

-phone calls - often in low service areas in the mountains (same with text- areas where there is low low coverage - but this is not the norm)

-internet primarily weather, maps ( in woods would love real time location a google earth map/topo apps but realize limitation due to any phone device with satellite reception under heavy canopy), tracking health and fitness, shopping (scanning barcodes/price comparisons), News, web boards, ebooks, not so much watching movies and clips. Carry a good GPS but older model (Garmin 60CX) great reception, not so good on the mapping like newer expensive units - would love to see real time location on map

-photos take, video clips, outside a lot

-work uses MS Office 2003 and working with our exchange and keeping ONE calendar is very important to me - tired of juggling. Worked fine with old PDA and manual connect/synch which is fine. Also corporate VPN access? Minor edits to word, excel etc. Also gmail and yahoo mail.

Thanks so much for any insights.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
New to forum and trying to decide between phones
55 year old granny telecommuter during the day, weekend search and rescue dog handler and in the woods a lot.

Verizon, Renewal date on July 6th, which is before the data plan change and on the date my plan gives an "additional loyalty discount"

Current phone is env touch but want to move into droid and figure 4G despite being the new frontier is probably where I should go.

Would appreciate any suggestions and have narrowed down between HTC Thunderbolt and Samsung Charge -- Live in a 4G service area. Thought about the Gzone commando (3G) but it does not sound particularly friendly for typing and sounds somewhat limited - if I were in the woods all day every day maybe so.

Use

-honestly we text a lot and I like a physical keyboard but the reality is I need to adapt as phones are moving away from them. I HATE predictive text

-phone calls - often in low service areas in the mountains (same with text- areas where there is low low coverage - but this is not the norm)

-internet primarily weather, maps ( in woods would love real time location a google earth map/topo apps but realize limitation due to any phone device with satellite reception under heavy canopy), tracking health and fitness, shopping (scanning barcodes/price comparisons), News, web boards, ebooks, not so much watching movies and clips. Carry a good GPS but older model (Garmin 60CX) great reception, not so good on the mapping like newer expensive units - would love to see real time location on map

-photos take, video clips, outside a lot

-work uses MS Office 2003 and working with our exchange and keeping ONE calendar is very important to me - tired of juggling. Worked fine with old PDA and manual connect/synch which is fine. Also corporate VPN access? Minor edits to word, excel etc. Also gmail and yahoo mail.

Thanks so much for any insights.

welcome to the forum. glad u joined us. I can tell u that any device can be great however it depends how it'll suit to ur likings/needs. if keyboard u like, u may wanna look into the Droid 2/Global and soon to be released...Droid 3. the Commando is rugged and durable. as for 4G, hmm I know the mountain areas are tough receptions regardless of phone. but with the E911 capability with GPS works well.
as for office feature, try Exchange for Touchdown. I personally use Quickoffice Pro for my Global and the HD for my Xoom. i switch between my phone, my Xoom and laptop to work on my pvt business and my regular job. helps greatly when on the go or traveling.

ALOHA from Hawaii

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I would pick the LG Revolution or Samsung Droid Charge for a 4G phone or an HTC Incredible 2 for 3G.

I used to think not having a physical keyboard would be annoying. Now I will never go back...

sent from my ApeX