Need help choosing 1st smartphone

droidypants

Reaction score
Hello, so I would like to buy my first smartphone. Any advice on a good phone? I looked at two, Samsung Exhibit and Galaxy S Captivate that seemed good. The Exhibit is 4g but has a VGA camera! The Captivate is only 3g but has 5megapix camera+camcorder. The exhibit is $190 and Captivate $230. The Captivate really calls to me, but will its 3g become obsolete (meaning useless?)in the next few yrs? I need the phone to last a few years (I had my first T-mobile cell for 10 yrs). I am not getting a data plan.
I orginally also did not want to spend over $170. But don't think that will happen! Both are 1GHZ phones, that matters?

Please give me some advice on ANY (any brands etc) other phones that may be what I am looking for. My mind is BOGGLED :blink:with the choices!

Some things I would like are:
-T-mobile or UNlocked
-good camera, maybe video record
-Android
-bigger screen, 3.7 or higher
-any thing else I should b looking for?

Thank You for any tips/advice! :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think you'll be forced into a data plan, no matter which service provider you choose. When you go to activate the phone they'll see the phone model and force you into a data plan. I know AT&T and Verizon do that, not sure if T-mobile has any exceptions

Mike8016

Reaction score
If your on tmobile get the HTC one. Its probably the best phone on T-Mobile.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

iamjoe

Reaction score
Have you checked to get feedback on t-mobile's coverage/reception? As much as I hate to say it, verizon does offer great coverage

OP
D

droidypants

Reaction score
The htc one is $500+ !!

Hey I looked into the HTC one, beautiful phone. The only thing is that it is $500+!!
Can't even touch that. I am hoping to buy an unlocked phone so I do not have
to pay for a data plan. Thinking of going on T-mobile since all my relatives in
this town have it, and t to t is free.

Please, any other phones you guys can reccomend? I only have until the 19th.
Thanks

wildride89

Reaction score
Like dezymond said I think wherever you go you'll have to have a data plan whether the phone is unlocked or not.

nikecar

Reaction score
Hey I looked into the HTC one, beautiful phone. The only thing is that it is $500+!!
Can't even touch that. I am hoping to buy an unlocked phone so I do not have
to pay for a data plan. Thinking of going on T-mobile since all my relatives in
this town have it, and t to t is free.

Please, any other phones you guys can reccomend? I only have until the 19th.
Thanks

sorta false. I just went through the motions. The HTC one, with web discount (if you get a plan) is $300 and there is a $300 mail in rebate, so essentially its free. However, you never state the status of your plan. Are you eligible for an upgrade?

OP
D

droidypants

Reaction score
confusion

Hey, maybe some confusion. I would like to buy my own phone, NOT from a wireless company. If I buy
a smartphone from them, then I would be forced into a data plan. But if I get one from say Amazon, then
I can get the 1000 min+text plan.

So the HTC would not be free. This is only if you buy a 2 year agreement data plan from them. And I mentioned
in my original post, I don't want to buy a data plan.

Any other phones anyone can think of?
Thanks

nikecar

Reaction score
Maybe is a yes.

You never fully explained what the plan was. Saying you want Tmo or unlocked, could reasonably infer you want a phone to use with Tmo as you ahve Tmo now. Then the you don't want data is a common question about getting a smartphone and wanting to use it as a phone only, no data plan. And sicne its your first smartphone, I'd have wagered all of those to be true, thus the comment about wanting to know the status.

Either way, with a price of $170, I don't think you'd get a top of the line phone, but something a year old or older.