need browser help

davidsettlage

Reaction score
new to droid and in general happy with browser, but i cannot view my linksys webcam page for some reason. i can get to the first page but when i click "view camera" the next page i see has the header and footer but not the video image from the webcam. Maybe due to java or something running on the webcam page????

is there a way to tweak settings on my droid browser to enable something that isn't currently?

or is there another browser i should download that will be more fully functional?

fyi, my wife's iPhone displays the webcam page perfectly - i cannot let her one-up me with her iPhone!

help please!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I never use the native browser so I'm not a good one to actually answer your question. But I can highly recommend Dolphin HD or xScope browsers. I use both and they are fast.

Also, if you are on a limited data plan, you might want to look at Opera Mini as it compresses data. This is from their website:

"Opera is the smart choice for browsing on expensive wireless data plans. Using the Opera browser to browse the Web with your mobile phone can save you money on your phone bills, by reducing your data usage substantially. The Opera Mini browser uses only a tenth of the bandwidth of other browsers, compressing webpages by up to 90%. With the Opera Mobile browser, turning on Opera Turbo compresses data up to 80%, or leave Opera Turbo off to get full website data, as you would on a PC."

I did install it and test it. I experienced a reduction in bandwidth of 85%!!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Java applets embedded in web pages do not work on ANY mobile devices that I know of including all Androids, iPhones, etc.

I don't know why the web page would work on an iPhone. Perhaps the server recognizes that she is using an iPhone and serves her a different version.

Some things to try:
1) install Adobe Flash, free from the market
2) try a different browser. These 3 have different rendering engines: Firefox, Opera Mobile, Dolphin HD
3) change the browser user agent. Experiment with iPhone, Desktop, etc.

A link to the web page would help us figure out the problem. Perhaps you could link to a page like it.

OP
D

davidsettlage

Reaction score
Thanks for your help - really appreciate your suggestions. i've checked and already have flash installed. I've also already tried Dolphin HD, xScope, Bolt browers - i'll try Firefox too to see if that helps but am not optimistic. I can access the webcam video fine from a pc (IE8) and from iphone.

Here is the link

'+tm01+'

let me know if you can figure anyting out - i'll owe you a boat ride!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
OK, that uses ActiveX. I'm surprised that the iPhone would handle that. I still wonder if the server feeds the iPhone a different version. Anyway, you might want to check out this app, free from the market: IP Cam Viewer Lite

Also, Opera Mobile browser handles the mjpeg properly. Just visit http://67.191.136.173:1024/img/video.mjpeg in that browser.

Last edited:
OP
D

davidsettlage

Reaction score
you rock! firefox handles it fine as does the IP viewer

thanks for your help

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Yeah, free boat ride!

The code of that web page would definitely handle things differently on an iPhone. I'm a bit surprised that the stock Android browser wouldn't handle it properly but I'm glad that you found some workarounds!

Beautiful lake! Nice weather today. California?

EDIT: Eww, cool. IP Cam Viewer lets you put a widget of the camera image on your home screen. Nifty! iPhone won't do that, by the way.

Last edited: