Navigate

thelion

Reaction score
I got yelled at today by my Droid. I was driving to work and I was using Navigate (new way to work). Well, I realized it was sending me to the wrong place (Google Maps failure). So, I start going my way.

Big mistake.

For 20 minutes I got yelled at to get back on track. Literally. It kept tell me to do a U-Turn. I had to eventually shut the dang thing off.

I think I ticked off my Droid :)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, don't trust Navigator for a while. Ever since Google stopped their contract with TeleAtlas (what TomTom uses) Maps have been WORTHLESS in many areas. Kind of stupid considering the money and resources they are poring into making the Nav system... Google-"lets make a Nav program but not bother to supply it with detailed maps":clap: that sounds like a good business model. lol.

Disclaimer: Yes I know some of you are lucky enough to have not been to affected by the change, but for the rest of us they have made maps and Nav all but useless. Check Googles help forums if you want to see how far reaching this err of judgment was.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
Surprisingly everywhere I've used it for so far (about 30 different locations) its been completely accurate and I don't even live anywhere special, haha.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
To be fair, no map program is accurate in my town because my town just threw the city together without any real planning or foresight. My intrigue was peaked when it started yelling at me "PERFORM A U TURN. PERFORM A U TURN. PERFORM A U TURN" and "TURN RIGHT ON FLAMINGO. TURN RIGHT ON FLAMINGO TURN RIGHT ON FLAMINGO. PERFORM A UTURN AND TURN LEFT ON FLAMINGO".

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here in Nasville Google Maps was VERY accurate a few months ago. Now they are very poor... address that showed up PERFECTLY before now can't even be found. Other address are up to a 1/2 mile out of place... My street is no longer even on the map and the nearest 'main' road is mislabeled. LOL... Some people can still use it (it's fairly accurate in downtown Nasvhille) but as a whole it's pretty sad in it current state.

GRey1

Reaction score
I'm very satisfied with the NAV thus far. I'm able to navigate from one burned out part of Cleveland to another very precisely.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
This thread got me thinking so I pulled out the map of a local place (its a hollow) and half the roads are stone and it takes about 30min to go around how my actual gps (not DROID NAV) would take me. I looked on google maps and they have all the "roads" labled and clearly shows the shortcut that will save you about 15min and your shocks, haha. Im surprised to hear that even a place like Nashville has issues whereas I don't in podunk nowhere PA.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

FireDroid

Reaction score
Good to hear podunk PA is good, making my way up to carbondale area from Va!! lol So far mine have been accurate , the maps are dated though, it shows the street but the sat overlay shows no road! The road was built about 4 years ago!! They should at least update sat overlay! lol

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
The place I live has been here five years. Our streets are not on the map (any map). However, the "road" next to us which is not a road but in fact a paved walkway IS on every map and has a "street" name.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The place I live has been here five years. Our streets are not on the map (any map). However, the "road" next to us which is not a road but in fact a paved walkway IS on every map and has a "street" name.

LOL, that's awesome. Lets hope people use some common sense and don't follow the Nav w/o thinking. TomTom had some things like that out in the outskirt of Nashville (dirt driveways labeled as roads when the main road wasn't even listed) but they were/are pretty quick to update. But then they use TeleAtlas (what Google used to...)

To the previous poster about the satellite and maps, I've got the opposite problem here. The sat view SHOWS what I need, but the map layer doesn't. Oh well, it is a Beta (but still, what good is a Nav program w/o accurate maps, IMHO the REALLY dropped the ball abandoning TeleAtlas w/o a good alternative already in place).

MrCapcom

Reaction score
Nav has been working fine so far PA/NJ/DE/NYC is all I need for the time being

lumpysherman

Reaction score
Nav worked great for me today but afterward my facebook app when opened would show my info when news feed was pressed. After rebooting all was well.

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
here in san francisco, the nav works wonders... i usually put in an address for a place which i already know how to go to (just to test the accuracy) and it directs me perfectly..

but i wouldn't rely on it too much for longer trips without any back up navigation or a map...