My experiences with wi-fi syncing on Android

dhinged

Reaction score
So I've trying out wi-fi syncing with Winamp and doubleTwist, and so far the experience has been less than satisfactory. On Winamp, I got it to recognize the phone, but it promptly dropped and I haven't been able to get it connected since. Trying to get support for it has been next to impossible, as they haven't replied to my message yet (it's been weeks) and nothing in the forums has fixed it.

I tried doubleTwist with AirSync, and the desktop version found the phone just fine, and I was able to AirSync most of my library to the phone. However, I had to interrupt it as I had to leave (it had been going for over two hours, and I have 8GB of music), and when I came back, it was unable to connect to the phone ("Network Error"). I had to restart both machines, but it then either didn't recognize the phone on the network, or gave a "Sync Failed" error. So far nothing I've tried has been able to re-sync the phone.

My experience with wi-fi syncing on Android has not been good, and since iTunes is superior to both apps for music and podcasting, I am going to buy the Verizon iPhone and see if I get a superior experience. I really don't want to be subject to Apple's restrictions, but the less-than-satisfactory media experience on Android has really turned me off to it being a media device.

maxnicks

Reaction score
Good Luck with your iPhone! It's a great phone for those who prefer it!

OP
dhinged

dhinged

Reaction score
Good luck? Do I need luck with it? I could have sure used some trying to sync music over wi-fi with my Droid!

joggy

Reaction score
I use iSyncr with its wifi add-on and can sync without issues. Works pretty good for me.

booone0

Reaction score
I have had pretty good experiences with TuneSync, which I believe is $3.99 in the market. The only problem is that you need to convert your iTunes library to V2.2 ID3 tags - just select all of your library, right click, select "Convert ID3 tags..." and convert them to 2.2. Before I did this TuneSync was acting strangely; not syncing some songs while syncing multiples of others. After doing this I have had no problems.

Good luck with whatever you choose and ignore anyone here who belittles your choice of an iPhone..

OP
dhinged

dhinged

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but Winamp started working again (no idea why; it just started working), however, considering it takes longer to sync over wi-fi and I'm not guaranteed of a clean interrupt if I have to leave, I'm just going to sync everything through a cable. That gives me one less reason not to get an iPhone, but I guess you live and learn.