Motorola Droid Texting

new2tech

Reaction score
I loaded Handcent from the market so I could have a signature for my texts, works great. My question is, will it mess up the phone if I now delete the origional stock messaging it came with? Thanks

cwzwack

Reaction score
Unless you're rooted, I don't think there's a way to delete the stock messaging app. Did you root your phone?

OP
N

new2tech

Reaction score
Unless you're rooted, I don't think there's a way to delete the stock messaging app. Did you root your phone?
I dont know what that is, lol, so I guess not. I have only had it for 2 days.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Rooting a Droid is like jailbreaking an iPhone. Don't worry about that yet, just enjoy the stock phone for a while. Just be sure to turn off notifications in the stock messaging app so you don't get double notifications and from both the stock app and Handcent and you'll be fine!

OP
N

new2tech

Reaction score

Rooting a Droid is like jailbreaking an iPhone. Don't worry about that yet, just enjoy the stock phone for a while. Just be sure to turn off notifications in the stock messaging app so you don't get double notifications and from both the stock app and Handcent and you'll be fine!
Thanks, I did turn off the notification but I still get a pop up in the middle of the screen from the original messaging when someone sends a text and I an doing something on the phone, I have to X out and go into Handcent, Kind of annoying, I just want to use Handcent.

GotnFX

Reaction score

Thanks, I did turn off the notification but I still get a pop up in the middle of the screen from the original messaging when someone sends a text and I an doing something on the phone, I have to X out and go into Handcent, Kind of annoying, I just want to use Handcent.
Pop up in the middle of screen? That is a function of handcent..unless something changed with the 2.1 update.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea and be sure NOT to delete mesages from the stock one either - itll delete them from handcent too

OP
N

new2tech

Reaction score
Oh, ok, let me double check on that next time, may be a little sleep deprived playing with my new "toy", I will keep you posted, thank you so much. We will have to talk about that rooting someday, I would love to know thw advantages ( i don't know what jailbreaking for iphone is either), I have lots to learn.

OP
N

new2tech

Reaction score
Yea, I found that out the hard way, thats why I wanted to know if I could get rid of the stock one, I would use it if you could have a signature but.......?

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I'm guessing here but I think it's because Handcent isn't your default app for messaging yet. Go to the Handcent SMS settings. click on Handcent > Menu > Settings, scroll down to notification settings under sms receive messages. Make sure that's checked and you should be good to go (assuming you've done exactly the same thing in the stock app, except that receive notifications is unchecked in there.)

OP
N

new2tech

Reaction score

I'm guessing here but I think it's because Handcent isn't your default app for messaging yet. Go to the Handcent SMS settings. click on Handcent > Menu > Settings, scroll down to notification settings under sms receive messages. Make sure that's checked and you should be good to go (assuming you've done exactly the same thing in the stock app, except that receive notifications is unchecked in there.)

Yea, both are done, I may just be mistaken with the popup, I will check when it happens again.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Yea, both are done, I may just be mistaken with the popup, I will check when it happens again.

Also make sure that the stock app is no longer onscreen. Just drag it down into the app drawer. If you had widget for it onscreen, sometimes that confuses the issue... but as soon as the widget's gone, the Droid does...

OP
N

new2tech

Reaction score

Also make sure that the stock app is no longer onscreen. Just drag it down into the app drawer. If you had widget for it onscreen, sometimes that confuses the issue... but as soon as the widget's gone, the Droid does...
ok, yea, I noticed that when I keep my finger on it a trash can icon pops up on the bottom, I was going to drag it there but didnt want to mess it up because I don't know how to gwt it back but thats what I will do. Thanks!!

GotnFX

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to throw stuff off of your screen into that garbage can. All you are doing is getting rid of the icon or widget or shortcut from your main screen. You could always add it back by long pressing on an empty spot on your main screen..try it if you haven't already

OP
N

new2tech

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to throw stuff off of your screen into that garbage can. All you are doing is getting rid of the icon or widget or shortcut from your main screen. You could always add it back by long pressing on an empty spot on your main screen..try it if you haven't already

OK, cool, just tried it, awesome, thanks!!:)