Moto Z Getting Oreo "In a Few Weeks"

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Well.... I did it. I had no willpower to wait any longer LOL! I'm not too crazy about the white notification area (now I understand what y'all were talking about), but I think it'll grow on me. I miss my old command center already, sigh.
How do I do that split screen thing and how do I change the shape of my icons? Sorry, these are probably simple tasks, but I have no clue.

Soccerref12

Reaction score
Well.... I did it. I had no willpower to wait any longer LOL! I'm not too crazy about the white notification area (now I understand what y'all were talking about), but I think it'll grow on me. I miss my old command center already, sigh.
How do I do that split screen thing and how do I change the shape of my icons? Sorry, these are probably simple tasks, but I have no clue.
Multi screen: press on the square, recent apps, and drag the app you want to pin to the top. Icon shape: long press home screen and choose settings.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Multi screen: press on the square, recent apps, and drag the app you want to pin to the top. Icon shape: long press home screen and choose settings.

Thank you! I did the split screen thing, thanks! Now, is it possible I don't have a launcher installed on my phone? When I long-press my home icon Google comes up.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not the home button, the Home screen. Of course you, have a Launcher you...notNerd.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
The clueless one has now figured it out thank to you two nerds ;)
Has anyone noticed that their contacts are different? I used to be able to open it and my favorites were all right there, but not anymore. Not a biggy, I don't think... It also appears only certain notifications are making sounds now. Breaking news alerts, tapatalk, and text messages have all be silenced. My Facebook Messenger makes noise, but that's the only thing I've heard so far.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Notification sounds are all messed up in Oreo. Google decided that we can't use custom ringtones and notification tones. If you have any apps that are set to use a notification tones or ringtone that's not a stock sound, change it to a stock sound and it will work. I missed one call to learn that. And had an app draining battery like a hot know through butter because it has it's own Notification sounds and couldn't run properly until I uninstalled it and reinstalled and picked a stock notification sound.

Soccerref12

Reaction score
Notification sounds are all messed up in Oreo. Google decided that we can't use custom ringtones and notification tones. If you have any apps that are set to use a notification tones or ringtone that's not a stock sound, change it to a stock sound and it will work. I missed one call to learn that. And had an app draining battery like a hot know through butter because it has it's own Notification sounds and couldn't run properly until I uninstalled it and reinstalled and picked a stock notification sound.

All my custom sounds still work.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
None of mine work and several other users on the Moto Forum. What folder are they in? And are they mp3 or ogg files? I have both and Android doesn't "see" them, so I cannot choose them. There is a lengthy post on the Moto Forum where several of us tried to help a young lady with a Z Play on Oreo and her phone just would not "see" any ringtones / notification tones that were not stock. Neither will mine.

Soccerref12

Reaction score
Download ES File Explorer from the Play Store and you can use that to choose your app or contact mp3 sounds. I made a folder named Ringtones and put all my sounds in it. ES File Explorer has a lot of ads and is not a real safe app to leave on your phone, so I deleted it after I assigned all my sounds. Hope this helps.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It's still there. Scroll that text at the top to speed dial.
a6339ba6eb4d5a0725e021ffdd075f59.jpg

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Also I use Ringtone Maker and assign them there.
78b5cc4c60af9a3536e368dad0850194.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So....there is something different about "apps" that create custom sounds versus custom sounds copied to the phone from a laptop.....two years ago. Interesting? I have used the same phone ringtone in the same Internal memory Ringtone folder since 2011 and never had a problem until Oreo. Thanks Google.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
It's still there. Scroll that text at the top to speed dial.
a6339ba6eb4d5a0725e021ffdd075f59.jpg

Yeah, my "phone" has it, but not my contacts. Favorites aren't lumped in together anymore. I can see my groups, but favorites isn't one of them. I'll have to make a group, I guess.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
So....there is something different about "apps" that create custom sounds versus custom sounds copied to the phone from a laptop.....two years ago. Interesting? I have used the same phone ringtone in the same Internal memory Ringtone folder since 2011 and never had a problem until Oreo. Thanks Google.

Move them to the Ringtone folder and you can choose them. Mine showed up. Yes I have star Wars ringtones.
#nerd
fad040915647b18010891879c50cb4ab.jpg