Moto Droid Restarting and Freezing

TBarnes8908

Reaction score
Just got my Moto Droid two days ago and love the phone. I am having slight problems with the phone doing random reboots when I am not using it and also it sometimes freezes. When it freezes, the screen is black and if there is a notification the LED flashes but the phone is unresponsive to everything I try. I pull the battery and reinsert and start it up just fine. Not sure if these problems could be a result of a bad phone, bad apps, or just a software issue that needs to be fixed. Any suggestions?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bring it back and exchange it. Your phone should not be doing this. :icon_eek:

... could be a bad app. What ya got downloaded?

praeceps

Reaction score
I've had this problem specifically with DroidSS. When you reboot it, does it soon after show that somethinghad to be force closed during start up? That's what DroidSS was doing to me.

Reaction score
Yes, your phone most definitely should not be acting that way. Speaking from my own experience, I've had two Droids that have had the issues of the random reboots, unresponsive screens, and having to do multiple battery pulls. The best thing I can suggest is to take it in and exchange it for a new phone. I'm currently on my third droid and haven't experienced any problems with it thus far. It really doesnt seem like a software issue seeing as how I have my phone set up the same exact way and have not encountered any of the problems I did before.

OP
T

TBarnes8908

Reaction score
OK thanks guys. Ill probably try to take it in on Saturday and see about switching. And ill also keep an eye out for the force close notification when it happens again.

OP
T

TBarnes8908

Reaction score
Ok here is an update. Just wanting to see if you guys have any info about this still...

My phone worked for the majority of the day but after about 8 hours off the charger I took it out of my pocket and it was frozen and I had to battery pull. I ended up doing this three times today and on (I believe) two of the times the message popped up after I had done a battery pull that an application failed with the code (process com.android.mms). Not sure if this is an app problem but the apps I have installed are: Astro, backgrounds, Documents to go, download crutch lite, pandora, rings extended, shopsavvy, sportstap, usa today, weatherbug, and wikimobile. I also had mabilo installed but unistalled it.

Still thinking I am going to take it in for a new Droid tomorrow unless anyone has any possible solutions.

suzukimethod

Reaction score
Hopefully this catches you before you go through the trouble of swapping phones...

take off weatherbug and try things out. i had the same problem with weatherbug...(i dont think it was solely weatherbug's fault, but serious app hangs and freezes and unresponsive screens)

zmeflyby

Reaction score
Ok here is an update. Just wanting to see if you guys have any info about this still...

My phone worked for the majority of the day but after about 8 hours off the charger I took it out of my pocket and it was frozen and I had to battery pull. I ended up doing this three times today and on (I believe) two of the times the message popped up after I had done a battery pull that an application failed with the code (process com.android.mms). Not sure if this is an app problem but the apps I have installed are: Astro, backgrounds, Documents to go, download crutch lite, pandora, rings extended, shopsavvy, sportstap, usa today, weatherbug, and wikimobile. I also had mabilo installed but unistalled it.

Still thinking I am going to take it in for a new Droid tomorrow unless anyone has any possible solutions.

i have all those apps you mentioned except for weatherbug, sportstap, and download crutch.

my droid froze up tonight as well.

bro.jbennett

Reaction score
Dolphin Browser

I read that Dolphin browser could causing the problems. I uninstalled it as well as several other apps and my phone seems to be doing better, who knows, it may restart before I finish this message:)

gariki

Reaction score
hmm.. i see it so many times this morning that i am sick of it

I am seeing these droid freezes and restarts so many times this morning that i wonder if i should just go with an iphone instead (me still being within the 30day limit).

Yes, i do have the Dolphin browser installed but i dont think i can do without it on a droid; the default browser sucks bigtime.

Another related issues i have seen with the browser is that after a couple of hours of being online (most of the time in idel mode) the browser hangs on just about anything and would need a restart; so if i left the page that i am reading currently and try to get back to it after some time, most likely i will have to kill the browser and search for what i was reading the last time around.

Except for this issue of browsing and restarts and freezes; love the droid (yes even the keyboard).

-gariki

oldman

Reaction score
Having starting & restarting problems

Take your SD card out, you have a corrupted SD card. Restart after removing. If this fixes the problem replace with new card.

nelsonsrotties

Reaction score
Mine does this when Pandora starts up all by itself. I finally had to uninstall the Pandora radio so it would not just start up..also, the weather channel app...so make sure they are closed.