Mobile Device Privacy Act Aims to Notify Consumers of Tracking Software

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
congressional_bill.jpg

A new bill introduced into Congress by Representative Ed Markey of Massachusetts would force U.S. carriers to notify consumers of any tracking software present on their device at the time of purchase. The bill would also force carriers to disclose any tracking software that they might push at a later date, including software from the manufacturer and OS provider. If passed, this Act would require the consent of the consumer in order for data to be collected, but does not make any provisions for end users that would prefer to opt out completely. While legislation that protects consumers from surprises like Carrier IQ is a step in the right direction, it would be nice to have a full opt out option available.

How do you feel about anonymous data collection by carriers and developers, and how do you feel about laws that limit that data collection? Let us know in the forums.

by Edognights

Source: AndroidPolice
Image Source: Buzzle.com

B-Unit

Reaction score
... If passed, this Act would require the consent of the consumer in order for data to be collected, but does not make any provisions for end users that would prefer to opt out completely. While legislation that protects consumers from surprises like Carrier IQ is a step in the right direction, it would be nice to have a full opt out option available.

Except there is an opt-out, dont sign up with that carrier. No reason they have to allow for opting out, until a carrier either doesn't use tracking at all (and advertises such) or opens up the opt-out option. And if that doesn't happen, then its not Washington's job to rush to our rescue.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
If they want to collect data, they can collect data. All I want to know is who that data is going to, so I can make objective decisions about whether I want phones with this software or not. Judging by the outcry against Carrier IQ, I don't think they need an opt-out clause, because the consumers don't like this kind of stuff.
/me makes mental note to vote for Ed Markey next election even if there are no challengers (He's my rep).