MetroPCS starts selling phone with TV tuner. Whaddya think?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by nomadicnut, Aug 3, 2012.

1. nomadicnut

nomadicnut Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In time for the Olympics, MetroPCS is selling the first phone that can receive local TV signals, potentially lending TV stations some relevance in the age of the smartphone.

MetroPCS Communications Inc., the country's fifth-largest cellphone company, started selling the Samsung Galaxy S Lightray 4G for $459 on Friday. It has a built-in, extendable antenna that can receive special TV signals, broadcast from regular TV towers for reception by cellphones and other small gadgets.

Here's the whole story:

http://www.wral.com/business/story/11388115/

2. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Current Phone Model:
    NEXUS 6
    This stuff is really popular in Asia, but has never got off the ground here in the states. I doubt they'll release another phone with this capability.

3. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    What tjk said. It's been available in other countries for quite some time, but for some odd reason never picked up here in US, where I would say TV is one of the most popular "activities". I guess over here cable/dish companies want to charge for use on other devices, but then again I don't know how it works in Asia. This is definitely a technology that should've been taken advantage of years ago though.

4. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Current Phone Model:
    NEXUS 6
    I think it comes down to the following reasons:

1. They never had the markets. This service for example is only in like 5 markets. I don't think the other two TV services were available in many areas either. I'm sure that it's easier to deploy this in countries like South Korea and Japan.

2. Not a lot of providers. This service has like 7 channels.

3. People would rather use the internet. I think that most TV providers like U Verse, vzw FIOS, and some others let you stream stuff from your DVR. Plus, you got Hulu and what not for day after stuff. I don't know if Metro charges a fee for this, but I think vzw charged 15/month for their VCAST mobile TV service.

Ultimately, I doubt this service will last. I don't think Metro customers are going to want this, and I doubt any other carrier will sign up for this.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Droid Forums